Chapter 14

Freya managed to catch up on Natasha outside of the hospital.

"Nat", she said and touched her shoulder. Natasha turned around, tears in her eyes.
"Nat", Freya repeated, almost whispering. She lifted her arms and hugged Natasha, holding her like that for a few seconds.

"I'm sorry", Natasha said into Freya's shoulder, her voice trembling.

"You don't have to be sorry." Freya took a deep breath, released Natasha again and looked her in the eyes. "I'm sorry, what happened with Fury. You knew him better than me, I know that, and I know that nothing I say will ease your sorrow. I just... wanted you to know that I am here for you."

Natasha smiled and wiped away a tear. "Thank you, Freya."

She smiled back and asked: "Shall I take you back?"

Nat shook her head. "No, I want to be alone for a while."

Freya took her hand. "Okay. Call me if you need anything."

With that, she let Natasha's hand go and flew into the night.

The next day Freya woke up early to train. But after a few hours, she got a call from Natasha.
"Hey, what's wrong?", Freya asked when she picked up.

"Steve and I have the stick with all the SHIELD intel. We want to find out what the Winter Soldier wants. Will you join us?"

Freya smiled, which Natasha obviously couldn't see. "I'm on my way. Where do we meet?"

Ten minutes later Freya landed in front of the shopping centre, right next to Natasha and Steve.

"I'm sorry", she said and made her wings disappear, "Were you waiting?"

"No, we just came ourselves", said Natasha.

Steve just ignored Freya and looked around the parking lot. Natasha cast a glance at Freya but she looked at her with a look that said: I'll tell you later.

Natasha shrugged and went inside.

"The drive has a level six homing program", said Natasha and typed on the computer in the tech-store.
"So as soon as we boot up SHIELD will know exactly where we are."

Freya looked over Natasha's shoulder and forced a smile on her face, pretending to be just a normal customer.

"How much time?", she whispered.

"Nine minutes from..." - Natasha plugged the stick in - "now."

Natasha typed on the keyboard and said: "Fury was right about that ship. Somebody's trying to hide something. This drive is protected by some sort of AI. It keeps rewriting itself to counter my commands."

"Can you override it?", Steve asked.

Natasha sighed. "The person who developed this is slightly smarter than me. Slightly", she added with a side-glance on Steve.

Freya smiled under the black hood of her jacket. It's a miracle when Natasha admitted that someone is smarter than her.

"I'm gonna try running a tracer", Natasha went on. "This is a program that SHIELD developed to track hostile malware, so if we can't read the file maybe we can find out where it came from."

"Can I help you guys with something?", another voice asked.

Freya looked up and saw a guy with long blond hair approaching.

"Oh no", Natasha said and threw her arms around Freya and Steve. "My sister was just helping me and my fiancé with some honeymoon destinations."

Freya smiled. "I am so proud of my big sister", she said, even though her intestines tensed at the sentence.