Chapter 20

"This man declined the Noble Peace Prize", Fury said and looked at the picture of Alexander Pierce in his hand. Freya was sitting opposite of him, Natasha next to her, Maria Hill at the end of the table and Sam and Steve stood over by a pillar.

"He said, peace wasn't an achievement", Fury continued, "it was a responsibility." He placed down the picture and looked at everyone in the room. "See, stuff like this is giving me trust issues."

"We have to stop the launch", Natasha said and turned her head to look at Steve behind her.

Freya murmured a silent "Great" under her breath.

"I don't think the council's accepting my calls anymore." Fury opened a suitcase in front of him to reveal three rectangular chips and Freya leaned forward to take a better look.

"What's that?", Sam asked behind her and she heard him taking a step forward as well.

Maria Hill turned around a monitor in front of her to show the three helicarriers and answered: "Once the helicarriers reach 3,000 feet, they'll triangulate with Insight satellites, becoming full weaponized."

"We need to breach those carriers and replace their targeting blades with our own", Fury added.

"One or two won't cut it, we need to link all three carriers for this to work. If even one of those ships remains operational, a whole lot of people are gonna die."

"We have to assume everyone aboard those carriers is HYDRA. We have to get past them, insert these server blades, and maybe, just maybe we can salvage what's left-"

"We are not salvaging anything", Steve interrupted Fury. "We're not just taking down the carriers, Nick, we're taking down SHIELD."

"SHIELD had nothing to do with this." Fury's voice had an impatient tone to it.

"You gave me this mission. This is how it ends." Freya looked to the ground and just out of curiosity she went into Fury's mind - and immediately left again. Wow, this guy knows a lot of words to describe a person. "SHIELD's been compromised, you said so yourself", Steve continued. "HYDRA grew right under your nose and no one noticed."

"Why do you think we're meeting in this cave?", Fury asked furiously. "I noticed."

"How many paid the price before you did?", Steve asked. Freya raised her eyebrows.

To her surprise, Fury was silent for a few seconds and then silently answered: "Look, I didn't know about Barnes."

"Even if you had, would you have told me? Or would you have compartmentalized that too? SHIELD, HYDRA, it all goes", Steve continued.

"He's right", Hill added and nodded.

With a look of surprise, Fury looked over to Freya who just shrugged and grinned at him. Natasha leaned back in her chair and when Fury's look fell on Sam he shrugged and said: "Don't look at me. I do what he does, just slower."

"Well", Fury sighed. "It looks like you're giving the orders now, Captain."

Steve nodded and with a last look into the round he left the room. After a few seconds, Sam silently followed him and Freya looked at the rest sitting around the table. "I'll need some weapons", she said.

"We have one of your suits here, you can have that one", Hill answered.

"How the hell did you- You know what, never mind." Freya waved it off with her hand. "I will not even ask questions about you guys anymore."

"What's with me?", Natasha asked. "Did you steal one of my suits as well?"

"We did", Fury said, "but we got a different plan for you today."