Chapter 27

Bucky POV:

He ran and ran as fast as he could, and still, he screamed at his legs to go faster.

After a few long minutes, he reached the clearing. While running inside the Quinjet, he shouted: "JARVIS, prepare a medical examination!"

"Preparing medical examination", JARVIS answered and as fast as he could, Bucky started the jet.

He flew as close to the building as possible and opened the ramp so it ended directly in front of a broken window in the fifth floor.

"Nat!", he shouted while running inside. He jumped to the ground and ran over to help Natasha carry Freya inside. Carefully and without saying a word, they laid her down on a table and with the help of Natasha's instructions, they attached her to various computers.

"JARVIS, now", Bucky said and the computers started beeping and working.

"And bring us home", Natasha added silently as she watched Freya's pulse on one of the screens.

"Auto-pilot activated", JARVIS said and added shortly afterwards: "Medical examination complete. Four broken ribs, dislocated shoulder, collapsed lung, a cracked skull, several spinal injuries, internal bleeding and breathing problems detected. The wings are broken as well."

"Can you-", Bucky started, but a beeping on one of the computers interrupted him, fear wrenching his guts.

"No pulse detected. Defibrillator-", JARVIS echoed through the Quinjet, but Bucky couldn't hear the rest of the sentence over Natasha's scream.

"NO! She doesn't breath! Freya! FREYA! Come back!"

Bucky rushed over to the side of the Quinjet and his intestines tensed as he got the defibrillator. She couldn't die, she couldn't die, he promised.

"Give it to me! GIVE ME THE DEFIBRILLATOR!", Natasha shouted and ripped the defibrillator from Bucky's hands. She rubbed it and placed it on Freya's chest. Her body flinched.

"No pulse detected", JARVIS said.

"Freya, no! Don't be dead, don't be dead!", Natasha shouted and tears dripped on the table as she rubbed the defibrillator again. She placed it on Freya's chest once more and her body flinched again.

An awful second of silence. Then: "Pulse detected."

Bucky breathed out and next to him, Natasha let out a sob at the sight of Freya's pulse on the monitor and let the defibrillator fall to the floor, she herself following shortly afterwards.

"JARVIS, can you do something to help her?", Bucky asked and tried to control the tension in his guts.

"Surgery can not be performed on the Quinjet", JARVIS answered. "But I would recommend a remedy that should keep her alive until we return."

"Do it", Bucky said and watched silently as a needle came out of the wall and the remedy got injected into Freya's bloody neck.

"Miss Maximoff should survive until we arrive in New York."

"Get us there as fast as you can", Bucky said and kneeled down next to Natasha, who just sat there and watched Freya's still body with a blank expression.

"Would Agent Romanoff like something to calm her nerves?", JARVIS asked.

As Natasha stayed silent, Bucky answered: "Yes please."

A small door in the wall next to Freya's table opened and Bucky took the small glass out of it. "Drink it", he said and held it in front of Natasha. 

Her eyes didn't move as she said: "She was dead."

"But she's alive now. Please drink this", he repeated and held the glass closer to her. Natasha took it but didn't raise it to her mouth. Instead, her hand stayed where it was, shaking so hard the fluid inside dripped to the floor. "Natasha, please drink it."

"I don't want it", she answered, handed the glass back to Bucky and stood up, only to sit down on a chair next to the table again.

"You don't have to keep sitting here", Bucky said, still kneeling on the ground. "There's nothing you can do right now."

"Can you leave us alone?", she asked, her eyes fixed on the body in front of her, the broken wings underneath.

Bucky looked to the ground and without saying a word, he walked out of the room.