Chapter 32

"No", said the robot and turned around to them.

He looked horrifying. Different parts of Tony's suits were held together by wires and the head was half destroyed, probably by one of the drones Tony sent to Sokovia.

"How could you be worthy?", he continued. "You're all killers."

Fire tickled in Freya's fingers, but she demanded it to stay inside. Not yet.

"Stark", Steve demanded.

"Jarvis?", Tony asked, but instead the robot answered again.

"I'm sorry, I was asleep. Or I was a-dream."

"Reboot Legionnaire OS. We got a buggy suit", Tony said.

"There was this terrible noise", the robot continued. "And I was tangled in... In..." He looked down at himself as if he just realized what he was. "Strings. I had to kill the other guy. He was a good guy."

"You killed someone?", Freya asked and this time a small flame appeared on her finger.

"Wouldn't have been my first call", the robot answered. "But, down in the real world, we are faced with ugly choices."

"Who sent you?", Thor asked.

"I see a suit of armour around the world", the robot answered - but it was also not him. It was Tony's voice.

Everyone looked at him. "Ultron", Bruce said.

Freya frowned as the robot answered: "In the flesh. Or, no, not yet. Not this chrysalis. But I'm ready."

Next to Freya, Natasha loaded her gun and she heard Hill behind her doing the same.

"I'm on mission", the robot - or Ultron - continued.

"What mission?", Natasha asked.

"Peace in our time."

The walls next to Ultron exploded and a handful of suits came flying into the living room. Gunshots sounded through the air and glass shattered as tables got thrown over.

Freya tried not to be distracted by the suits and tried to get to Ultron, but it was impossible. She didn't dare to use her powers and only conjured her wings and pulled the gun tied to her leg under her dress. She flew as high as she could and shot from the air, but she forgot that the suits could fly too.

Only seconds later, she landed hard on the floor and grunted. The suit came down on her and she shot it in the head. It fell to the ground and the lights turned off.

"The heads!", she shouted over the noise of the fight. "Destroy their heads!"

She couldn't make sure that everyone heard her, as another suit headed in her direction and shooting at her. She could move out of the way faster enough but lost her balance and fell. She landed hard on the ground and pieces of broken glass bore into her skin. Just in time she could turn around and shot the suit in the head.

Freya fought and helped where she could until silence spread over the room. All the suits were destroyed.

"That was dramatic", Ultron said.

Freya turned around to him, panting.

"I'm sorry, I know you mean well", he went on. "You just didn't think it through. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. How is humanity saved if it's not allowed to evolve? With these?"

He picked up the torso of one of the suit and turned it in his hands. "These puppets." With a clack, the mask of the suit fell off and Ultron threw it to the side. "There's only one path to peace. The Avenger's extinction."