Chapter 35

About an hour later, Freya found herself sitting at the dining table next to Natasha, her hair still wet from the shower. At some point, Fury arrived and Freya wasn't even surprised. He loved the dramatic entrances.

"Ultron took you folks out of play to buy himself some time", he said.  "My contacts all say he's building something."

Clint's daughter, Lila, Natasha told her, came running towards the table. She held a drawing in front of Natasha and Nat smiled at her and took it, examining the butterfly drawn on it.

Freya smiled as well while listening to Fury. "The amount of vibranium he's made off with, I don't think it's just one thing."

"What about Ultron himself?, Steve asked.

"Oh, he's easy to track", Fury answered. "He's everywhere. The guy is multiplying faster than a Catholic rabbit. It still doesn't help us get an angle on any of his plans, though."

"He still going after launch codes?", Tony asked from where he was throwing darts.

"Yes, he is. But he's not making any headway."

"I cracked the Pentagon's firewall in high school on a dare", Tony threw back.

"Well, I contacted our friends at the Nexus about that."

"Nexus?", Steve asked.

"It's the world internet hub in Oslo", Bruce answered. "Every byte of data flows through there. Fastest access on Earth."

"So, what did they say?", Clint asked.

"He's fixated on the missiles", Fury replied. "But the codes are constantly being changed."

"By whom?", Tony asked, the second a dart landed next to him in the middle of the dartboard. He turned round to Clint, who shrugged his shoulders. Freya grinned and pulled Natasha closer to her, resting her head on Nat's.

"Parties unknown", Fury said.

"Do we have an ally?", Freya asked.

"Ultron's got an enemy. That's not the same thing. Still, I'd pay folding money to know who it is."

"I might need to visit Oslo", Tony said. "Find our unknown."

"Well, this is good times, boss", Natasha said, "but I was kind of hoping when I saw you, you'd have more than that."

"I do", Fury answered. "I have you." He pointed to everyone in the room. "Back in the day, I had eyes everywhere. Ears, everywhere else. You kids had all the tech you could dream up. Here we all are, back on Earth, with nothing but our wit and our will to save the world."

"And here and there some superpowers", Freya added and Natasha chuckled.

If Fury heard her, he ignored her and went on. "Ultron says the Avengers are the only thing between him and his mission. And whether or not he admits it, his mission is global destruction. All this, laid in a grave." Fury looked everyone in the eyes. "So stand. Outwit the platinum bastard."

"Steve doesn't like that kind of talk", Natasha said.

"You know what, Romanoff?", Steve replied and Natasha grinned.

"So, what does he want?", Fury continued.

"To become better", Steve answered. "Better than us. He keeps building bodies."