Chapter 21

here ya have a small gift, a new chapter extra early for you :)

—————————————

"What happened with him?", Steve asked and raised his head.

Freya shifted where she stood in the doorframe and watched Steve. He was lying in a hospital bed, his face still bad-looking, but healing. Sam looked at Freya from his place next to the bed and waited for an answer.

"He's being held captive in the Avengers Tower", she finally answered. "I could convince them not to kill him."

"Does he remember?", Steve asked.

Freya looked at Natasha next to her before she answered: "He says he does. I don't know if I believe him."

"He dragged him out of the river", Natasha said.

"Yeah, after he tried to kill him multiple times", Sam countered.

"I want to speak to him", Steve said and everyone looked at him.

"What?", Sam asked and raised his eyebrows.

"Let me speak to him."

"Uhm", Freya said, "They currently don't let anyone in. Fury's being very secretive."

"He can't do that", Steve threw in. "That all... That wasn't Bucky, it wasn't his fault."

"I'm sorry Steve", Freya just said and nodded. "I have to go now."

Steve didn't say anything and just looked down at the bedsheets while Freya left the room and the hospital.

She understood that Steve wanted to talk to Bucky. And she wanted it too. But he was still a serial killer.

So am I, she thought as she flew over New York, the Tower a blurry figure in the distance.

The next few days, nothing happened. Freya fell back to her usual routine of training and reading. Natasha visited five days later.

"So you basically told them they can go fuck themselves?", Freya summed up Natasha's report on her meeting with the secretary.

"Yeah, basically." Natasha shrugged and put some mixed nuts in her mouth.

"Is Fury still holding the Winter Soldier captive?", Freya asked and spun around a pencil in her hand.

"Mhm." Natasha nodded. "Maybe he wouldn't if the Winter Soldier would just talk. Or even eat."

"Maybe he has depression", Freya said. "Or eating disorders. Or both."

"I mean, it would be understandable", Natasha said and threw a hazelnut in the air. It hit her cheek though and fell on the bedsheets. She sat up and picked the nut up again, putting it in her mouth. "He has been a brainwashed assassin for over fifty years and just saw his best friend again since the Second World War while being forced to kill him. He's had a rough week."

"I think we all did", Freya said and turned around in her chair. "I mean, I got shot, you got shot, Steve got shot..."

"Don't forget Fury."

"Yeah right, Fury got shot..." Freya frowned. "Sam didn't get shot, did he?"

"Uhm..." Natasha looked up and thought for a second. "Nah, I don't think he did."

"Okay, then we're gonna exclude Sam from this 'Had-A-Rough-Week-List'."

Natasha laughed and opened her mouth, but a ringing interrupted her. She took her phone from the nightstand and looked at the message. "It's from Fury. He wants to meet us at the cemetery."