ONE

THE GROUND

"Prisoner One-Nine-Three, face the wall." David Miller instructed standing with his legs widely spread, waiting for the blonde to follow his instructions. He watched Lawrence Wick purposely ignore him, any other day he would have let it slide. When she didnt immediately turn he let out a low groan and hissed, "Lawrence, now." The name grated on her nerves and so in response she dragged herself from the floor, irate, awaiting further instructions.

David Miller stood tall, dressed in a black uniform, usually he was posted outside of Lawrence's sky box and he listened to her small mumbles daily which usually came in small scattered or sporadic amounts and lasted hours. But today he was met with silence.

From next to David Miller, Commander Shumway shuffled. Without the movement, lawrence probably would have ignored his presence but he was desperate to make himself known, as if that would ward her off.

Sage to ward off spirits.

Electrical baton to ward of Lawrence.

Pure excitement ran through Lawrence's veins, the thrill of being feared filled her with adrenaline and yet before she had a chance to tease Commander Shumway with a simple, "Boo." She was forced against the wall.

A little handsy don't you think?

"No fucking mumbling." Shumway rasped allowing David to take charge, stepping back to put distance between himself and the blonde girl. Lawrence placed her forehead against the wall and started to laugh, the cool metal like a compress against her throbbing headaches.

"Hey Shumway, haven't seen you in a while." Lawrence taunted, David Miller nudged her as if to warn the girl not to start but she had never been one to listen to authority, "A little birdy told me you asked to be stationed somewhere else. I don't scare you, do I?" The question was obviously rhetorical because before the black haired man even opened his mouth to answer Lawrence even with the warning nudges continued, "I probably do. I haven't been out of this box in a whole two years. My fault for killing people really. Well-"

Lawrence paused and turned to face Shumway and David Miller, it was in slow motion and a smile crept on her face as she hummed satisfied she had rattled Shumway's nerves enough to last him.

"-they deserved it."

"You should have been floated." Shumway mumbled, it was intended for only his own thoughts but it was out in the open and David Miller snapped round in complete shock not that Lawrence minded in fact she kissed her teeth, mumbling,

Wish I had.

"Hold out your right arm." Commander Shumway ordered angrily, realizing now the scene he had caused out of pure annoyance. He couldn't stand the girl. and he hated that she crawled under his skin so easily, everything she did and said always ended up highering his blood pressure.

He had been made to stand outside of her holding cell for months before he got promoted to Commander. He would have to listen to her talk to herself, repeating the same stories about how she killed men and sometimes she'd talk about the most mundane tasks that she did, but every conversation seemed manic and hushed as if he was hearing her deepest inner thoughts.

"Are you gonna cuff me, sir?" Lawrence said turning around and facing Shumway holding her wrists out in front of her. Shumway didn't even bother to respond, he just clamped the wristband on her right arm. "Bastard." She winced and pulled her arm away from him, shaking her head to free her eyes from the long overgrown bangs she had once owned.