"The guard told me it was a cut on his shoulder so he might need stitches."

Stitches, my area of expertise!

"I just need the right materials"

"Right My Lady. I shall go prepare them quickly" the maid says leaving. "Go, don't let anyone steal him from you," I tell Nabir.

She smiles and bows "Thank you, My Lady," and with that, she walks away quickly.

After some time I hear a knock on the door. That must be the maid.

I open it and see her holding a tray of all the items I need, and a bucket of warm water. I take the tray and ask her to help me carry the bucket of water.

We get to the door and knock. "Come in," he orders. I open the door and take the bucket from the woman, thanking her, walking inside. Oma doesn't seem to be in here so I walk further inside the room towards him. The king is on the opposite side of the bed facing the wall, so he doesn't see me when I come in.

"Congratulations on your victory," I say to him as I drop the bucket by his side and set the tray on the table beside him. I look at his face to see him staring at me.

"You're not one of the physicians," he says, making my heart clench. I let out a sigh and give him a warm smile.

"No, but everyone is celebrating  your victory so I thought they should take a break. The maid told me you needed a stitch and that is my area of expertise, so here I am."

He's still staring at me with an expression that cannot be deciphered. I break eye contact and look at his body. From his wet hair and clean appearance, he looks like he has taken a bath.

"You've taken a bath, that's good," I take a bottle and open it. The minty smell gives me the go-ahead to pour it into the water before keeping it back on the tray. I whisk the water and lift the bucket, putting it on the table with the tray.

Then taking a cloth and soaking it,  I squeeze the water out and step towards the king who is just staring at me. Turning my attention to his shoulder, I am mortified by his injury. This is not a cut! Someone sliced his arm!

"Your injury is actually deep, but don't worry, I'll make sure it won't get infected," I say, carefully dabbing his wound. The blood is a lot so I soak the cloth inside the water again, give it a wash and squeeze it. As I am about to dap his injury for a second cleaning, he holds my arm. "Why are you acting like this?"

"Acting like what?" I ask looking at him

"Like the past week never happened"

"...It is normal for you. You were exercising your rights as king, and I was punished for stepping out of line"

"I hurt you"

"I am just as equal as anyone and everyone in this palace, why should that matter?"

"Because you didn't know I would go through it"

"You didn't. I was there awaiting the sword to land on my face so that I could be scarred. I am ugly as it is so with a scar I have nothing to lose"

He doesn't respond. "The water is getting cold" I say, releasing my arm from his grip. I dab his injury again, cleaning it up. Taking the balm on the table,  I open it, but before I can apply, he grabs my arm again.

"Stop acting like this," he says frowning at me

"Acting like what?"

"Like it never happened?!" he says raising his voice

"What do you want me to do?"

"I don't know. Yell! Throw something! Tell me you're upset!"

"And what would that change? The fact that I was unconscious for ten days? Or the fact that I was freezing and felt my consciousness slip away from me ten days ago?" I ask tears coming down from my eyes as I stare at him. His face softens as he sees my tears.

"I didn't know your body reacted that way to the cold"

"You don't owe me an explanation. You're a king"

"Dammit, why are you making this so hard for me?!" he asks, raising his voice again, annoyance filling his tone.

"Hard for you how?"

"Hard for me to tell you that I regret sending you to that room. Hard for me to tell you that I was worried sick! Hard for me to tell you that I feared you would never wake up, and that I would never forgive myself if you didn't. Hard for me to tell you that I thought about you every moment I was on the battlefield. Hard for me to tell you that I am sorry for hurting you, that seeing your tears breaks me, and makes me lose my mind. That I was scared you would never forgive me."

Dumbfounded is not even the word used to describe the shock when I hear him say this.

"My Lord I-"

"Saya I am so sorry that I hurt you. Please forgive me" he says releasing my arm and using his thumbs to wipe my tears.

"I couldn't control my temper, and I'm trying to get my temper under control. I am sorry" he pleads, and I can see the sadness in his eyes. I nod at him,

"I had already forgiven you, but your apology makes me feel much better," I say smiling at him. Relief shows on King Xerxes' face as he pulls me into a kiss, one I happily respond to.