Chapter 13: Hawk Moth

Start from the beginning

Cat Noir and I stood there quietly. I could see him staring at me.

"Can I help you?" I asked. He shook his head and crossed his arms. His face told me he had many questions. "You know it's not nice to stare at people."

"You were fighting with us and didn't think it was important to tell me it was you?" He asked while moving in close to me.

"You never tell me who you are. Don't you think that's important?" I crossed my arms.

"You looked really good out there." Cat Noir stopped in front of me, brushing off what I said. Although it was a nice compliment, it made me angry.

"Will you ever tell me?" I searched his eyes for an answer, but he turned away. A beeping began, and we both looked at his ring. He was going to detransform very soon.

"I can take you halfway.. to your house, but I really have to go." I stayed quiet and allowed him to pick me up. We both knew the answer to my question. I didn't like it.

***

Cat Noir and I were behind a building. He didn't have much time. After he set me down, he took a few steps back. I turned away from him and bit my lip.

I could see the flash of light behind me, casting onto me. It was quick. He had just detransformed. I could turn around right now and look at him. See who he was. My head turned to the side, very slightly.

But I couldn't bring myself to do it. Couldn't turn and see who it was that my heart wanted so badly. I took a big step forward, then walked away. We didn't say any words. There was nothing to be said.

At the end of the day, he was Cat Noir and I was me. I could walk around freely, just a normal girl. He had to hide and live his life in fear of some stupid super villain exposing him and taking his miraculous. I don't need him. I don't need to know him.

I closed my eyes in hopes of clearing my head, but Hawk Moth's eyes flashed in my mind. My chest tightened. It was his eyes that stuck with me. Haunted me.

***

*Adrien's P.O.V.*
I put Y/N down and stepped back. She was hurt, I could tell. As much as I wished I could come out and tell her it was me, Adrien, I knew I could never do it.

I destransformed, Plagg fell into my hands exhausted. I looked up at Y/N. I could see her head turn the slightest towards me and I took a cautious step back. My heart stopped. Would she actually look?

She didn't turn, just walked away. No goodbye, not even a wave. I frowned. She couldn't be mad at me. Being Cat Noir isn't easy and it's not like I wanted to keep my identity secret from her.

However, if I wanted to stay a superhero, no one could know. Not even the girl I love. I slipped Plagg into my pocket and made my way home.

***

I finally got home, climbing in through my bedroom window. I turned off the piano music playing to trick Nathalie into thinking I was practicing. I grabbed a big piece of Camembert for Plagg.

"And suddenly I feel like I could run a marathon." Plagg said emerging from shirt pocket. "Get it? Cause we just fought-?"

"I get it, Plagg. Look, stay here and rest, okay?" Plagg took the cheese from me, ignoring my slight hint of attitude.

"Geez, your girlfriend really has you down, huh?" He said, taking a bite, his face morphing into a happy smile.

"I don't have a girlfriend.." I let him sit and eat on my desk. I made my way to the door and opened it.

"Hey, where you goin'?" I didn't say anything, just shut the door behind me. I made my way through the house, trying to find Nathalie or my father.

Ahead of me walking quickly into his office, was my father and Nathalie following behind briskly. He was holding the side of his face, I could hear him grunt angrily.

"Father!" I called out to him, running to the room. The door quickly shut and Nathalie blocked the entrance.

"My father, is he okay? What happened?" I questioned. Her eyes avoided me, instead looking worriedly around the house.

"He's fine, Adrien. Go back to your room and practice some more piano." She glanced at me quickly, then gently pushed me back by my shoulder. "Your father is okay."

"Then let me see him!" I tried pushing my way through to the door, but Nathalie stood her ground and pushed me back. I stared at her angrily.

"That's enough! Nathalie, inside now." I heard my father's voice boom from inside his office. Nathalie looked at me, saying a quick pardon, then entered the room. I looked past her as she opened the door and saw my father standing over his desk, head down, and one hand holding his cheek while the other held him up.

And just like that I was shut out. I clenched my hand and stared at the door. I was angry. Confused. If someone hurt my father, I'd find the person responsible and have a little chat with them. I gritted my teeth.

I wasn't getting answers from anyone. I wasn't getting answers from my father either. I sighed and let my head drop sadly.

My father always kept me in the dark.