Chapter 32: Moments

"What a stupid idea!" Y/N cried out in confusion. The expression on her face was utter disbelief as she looked towards Ladybug, hoping the hero would agree.

"He's going through a lot right now!" Ladybug tried to reason.

"So are we! " Y/N yelled, motioning to everything around the pair. She was confused why Ladybug was excusing Dark Wings' declaration. To become his father to defeat him? Fight fire with fire? Fight evil by doing evil? In what world did that make sense?

Y/N sighed. Although she didn't want to admit it, Ladybug was right. What Adrien was going through was too much to handle for such a pure soul. To live life meeting someone else's impossibly high standards, just to have it all thrown back in your face. Expected to be perfect, but to expect neglect and lies.

"I need you to handle things while I'm gone. Buy some time." Ladybug demanded, grabbing Y/N's shoulders.

Y/N eyes darted back and forth across Ladybug's face in disbelief.

"But I'm not even an actual superhero. You can't expect me to know what to do in this situation." Y/N said.

"You're never going to fully know what's the right thing to do. But I trust that you'll make the best decision for everyone. Trust yourself, Y/N." Ladybug replied encouragingly. After giving Y/N a small squeeze of reassurance, Ladybug ran off.

"Okay, Y/N, just trust yourself. That's not so hard." Y/N huffed. Y/N shook off the nerves and stared ahead. The sentimonster and Mayura were holding off Dark Wings' attacks. Rage was released with every blow brought upon the pair.

Y/N looked at the staff in her hand, thinking over her possible options. But overthinking would solve nothing and she couldn't let precious moments pass.

"Trust yourself, Y/N!" Y/N exclaimed as she threw the staff straight at Dark Wings' cane. The staff knocked the cane out of Dark Wings' hand just before an explosion could escape. Dark Wings spun around, eyes narrowed.

"Hurting others isn't going to solve anything! You're mad at your father! All of Paris shouldn't have to deal with your daddy issues!" Y/N yelled at Dark Wings. The villain made an angered expression in response.

"Yeah! I said it! You and father need to sort this out. Look at what you two have done!" Y/N motioned to Nathalie, who had transformed both her and the body guard back to normal. The pair were obviously suffering from the torment their bodies had received.

"Hawk Moth! Stop hiding behind your akumas. You want this miraculous? Come face reality and get it yourself!" Y/N raised a hand in the air.

"CATACLYSM!" Y/N shouted as she brought her hand down to the ring. She had absolutely no clue what this would do. At the moment, she trusted that this was the best move to make.

"NOOO!" A voice boomed from the entrance of the Agreste mansion. Y/N's hand stopped before touching the ring. Everyone looked to the voice.

"You must be out of your mind!" Hawk Moth shouted, his voice in agony from what he had almost witnessed. Dark Wings now stood between Y/N and Hawk Moth, his cane laying at his feet.

"Father." Dark Wings muttered.

"My son. You must understand the reason for my actions." Hawk Moth started, slowly taking a step towards Dark Wings.

"NO!" Dark Wings shouted, quickly picking up the cane from the ground. He aimed it at his father. "You'll stop right there!"

Hawk Moth stopped, hands up in defense. Y/N watched closely, her hand still glowing with destruction.

"Everything I do, Adrien, it's for us. For your mother! She's here with us, but I can't fix anything without you. If you would just get those miraculous, nothing could stop us from having her back!" Hawk Moth cried out. He was desperate.

"I thought she was dead, father.. DEAD. And now you say she's alive? What am I supposed to believe?! How am I supposed to feel?!" Dark Wings sobbed. Suppressed feelings were spilling out of the cracks in his heart. They were breaking through and crashing down upon anything in their way.

Y/N inched forward slowly.

"Adrien, stop crying and listen to me."

"No, father! Listen to me. I'm done with you ruining my life!"

"I gave you this life! Your mother and I gave you this life! You won't pay her back, you ungrateful child?!" Hawk Moth furiously cried. For a moment the world stopped. Y/N was petrified from the tension.

Moments passed. Everyone held their breath.

"I did not mean to shout." Hawk Moth sighed, realizing his words may have just been the breaking point.

"Son, I do not want to lose you too."

"It's too late for that." Dark Wings said. He screamed in anger and kept the cane raised as a blast of light charged up.

"No!" Y/N shouted, grabbing the cane a second too late.

Moments passed in slow motion. The light from the cane had bursted, targeting a father full of regret. It disintegrated into tiny particles and released an akuma after. Y/N's head turned to the direction of the light. Nathalie and the bodyguard ran towards Hawk Moth in a poor attempt to save him. Hawk Moth closed his eyes and mouthed his wife's name as he accepted his fate.

"Miraculous Ladybug!" A light voice yelled out. Before damage could be done, the world was transformed back to normal. As normal as a world of with superheroes could be.

Adrien fell against Y/N, who caught the boy as he held his head in pain. Everyone sighed in relief as it was all over.

Ladybug stood behind Adrien and Y/N, ready to defend against Hawk Moth. But the man didn't move. He just stared at his son.

"Adrien, I.. I should apologize." Hawk Moth began as he moved towards the boy. Y/N instantly put herself in front of Adrien and Ladybug blocked any movement further.

Hawk Moth looked between the girls and Adrien. The angry eyes were now saddened.

"I want to apologize, but not like this." Hawk Moth stood straight. "Nooroo, dark wings fall." Hawk Moth transformed into Gabriel. All eyes went wide. An unexpected move for sure.

"Son. Please allow me a chance to explain." Gabriel spoke quietly.

Adrien stared up at his father, unsure. After a few moments, the boy stood up. He helped Y/N to her feet as well and ushered her behind him. He gave a small smile. His eyes were expressing a million apologies for the situation he had placed her in. Y/N nodded her head to acknowledge the look.

Adrien turned to his father. He took in a deep breath and held it for a second before releasing.

"Explain. Please."

"When your mother and I first stumbled upon the peacock and butterfly miraculous, we didn't fully understand the powers they held. Your mother, curious and determined, kept using the peacock miraculous, despite the damage it inflicted upon her. She.. She entered into a coma and has not woken since. I thought I could save her. And in trying to save her I have lost you too." Gabriel broke down, falling to his knees.

Adrien stayed quiet. He was taking in every word, playing each sentence over and over again. He knew a weight was lifted from his father's shoulders, but it seemed to have been placed upon his own now. What was he supposed to do with all this new information?

"Stand up, father." Adrien said, holding a hand out for his father to grab. Gabriel looked up to his son, the pain on his face was replaced with hope now. Hope that his son wasn't fully lost.

Gabriel slowly grabbed his son's hand and stood. They stared at each other once more. The father grabbed his son in a tight embrace. Adrien hugged back a few seconds later. He wasn't sure if he forgave his father. Not yet. He just knew that this was something they both needed.

At least for the moment.