Chapter 28: Christmas Eve

Today was Christmas Eve. I was with my friends at Juleka's houseboat. Everything was messily decorated for our Christmas party. Although it wasn't Christmas, we decided now was the best time to celebrate since everyone would be with their families on Christmas Day.

Except for me.

I was holding a cup of hot chocolate and warming up by the spray painted candy cane barrel with fire sitting in it. Juleka's mom, Anarka, said it added some flair to the already crazy boat.

Luka was standing at my side, warming his hands after playing the guitar for a while. He gave me a smile and closed his eyes happily.

"It's nice to spend time with everyone this way. Don't you think?" He said with his gentle voice. I smiled and nodded my head.

"I've never done this before, but I'm really enjoying it." I said as happy as I could. My mind thought back to all the previous holidays with my family. My parents didn't care and used them as an excuse to drink the night away with other people instead of celebrating with me. I tensed up at the thought.

"Never?" Luka asked. I shook my head no while drinking from my cup, obviously trying to avoid further conversation about it.

"Well, we're here with good company," Luka said, watching as Marinette fumbled with her outfit. "I hope you have some fun." He smiled while nudging my arm, then walked away to talk to Marinette.

I watched the pair talk and exchange a few laughs. I'd never seen Marinette look so happy with someone the way she was with Luka. My heart pleaded that she'd realize her feelings for Luka and forget about Adrien.

"Adrien! Glad you made it bro!" Nino exclaimed. The two boys greeted each other in their cute best friend way.

The moment Adrien's eyes met mine my heart escaped my body to go love all over him. He wore a plain black t-shirt, a light brown coat, and white jeans.

And maybe I shouldn't have been staring so hard but he wore brown, suede boots to match the coat and it just made me swoon. It wasn't hard to tell that Gabriel had a say in this fashionable look.

Adrien smiled at me, a blush creeping onto his face. After greeting everyone else, he walked over to me. I could see Marinette drooling over Adrien. Poor Luka, he was pretty cute too.

"Surprised you came." I said, staring at the moving fire.

"Took a lot of convincing. Trust me." Adrien chuckled. He stood opposite me and kept flicking his eyes from the fire to me. All of me.

Alya and Nino came over to the fire as well. They were laughing happily in love together. Adrien and I shared a quick glance at each other, both of us wishing we could do the same.

"Hey, you two, don't take all the warmth for yourselves." Alya joked.

"Good thing you have a big, warm guy to shield you from the cold." Nino said while flexing.

"Really? Where? I don't see him." Alya smirked. Adrien and I started laughing at Nino, who was pouting.

"Y/N, you look so cute and warm. Don't you think Adrien?" Alya smirked while resting an arm on Adrien's shoulder. I gave Alya a nervous smile and tilted my head as if to say,

'Why would you ask that?!'

"She looks beautiful," Adrien said, smiling lovingly at me. "I mean, stunning- I mean... adequate." Adrien fumbled after seeing Nino and Alya give him a questionable look. I blushed profusely and sipped from my cup to avoid Alya, who was now looking at me.

"Wonder what Cat Noir would say if he heard you say that about his girlfriend." Alya said, tapping her chin like she was thinking. She's doing her little investigative questioning. Alya is trying to figure out if Adrien likes me. Little did she know..

"Cat Noir isn't all that... Besides, I could've asked if I wanted to." Adrien huffed in annoyance. Is he seriously annoyed with himself?

And what makes him think he can say that he could've asked me out whenever? What if I wanted to ask him? Or what if I wasn't ready to date?!

"Really? Cause I don't think Adrien had the guts to ask me out." I said while crossing my arms.

"Maybe if you would've just listened to Cat Noir and done what you were supposed to Adrien would've done something really nice to ask you out!" Adrien said really fast.

Alya and Nino looked between us in confusion. They then looked at each other, silently confirming it was time to make an exit from this conversation. Alya cleared her throat and started backing away with Nino. She definitely got her answer, but not in the way she thought.

Adrien and I looked at each other, brows furrowed and arms crossed.

"I'm not your secret Santa by the way." Adrien said while looking away and pouting. I rolled my eyes and huffed an angry breath of air.

'I'm nOT yOuR seCrET sAnTa bY tHE waY.' I mocked him in my head. Adrien turned to me slightly, seeing that he clearly got to me. He smiled and chuckled to himself.

What a dork.

***

"I'm sorry for making you angry." Adrien said, poking my arm softly as we walked to my house. I shot a glare at him, which just made him laugh.

"Y/N, I have something for you. I know regifting is terrible, but I hope you can make an exception for this." Adrien said, pulling something from his coat pocket. My angry face now turned curious.

Adrien stopped me and spun me around. I heard him shuffling with something in his hands. Then, I felt something being placed around my neck. Upon looking down, I saw the beautiful necklace Adrien got me a while back.

"When you got akumatized, I used cataclysm on it. You probably thought that once it was destroyed, it's destroyed for good," Adrien said, now turning me back around to gaze at me wearing the necklace. "But I saved it for you and just couldn't find the time to give it back. Merry Christmas?"

"I love it, Adrien. Regifted or not." I smirked while pinching his cheek. Adrien blushed and chuckled a bit. We began walking again, but Adrien got quiet.

"Do you really think I don't have the guts to ask you out? I mean, me, Adrien. Not me, Cat Noir." Adrien said, sighing and shoving his hands into his pockets.

"I just don't see Adrien and me being a thing in public.. You're a model and Gabriel Agreste's son. I'm basically a nobody standing next to you. Oh, and your dad doesn't like me." I admitted, softly speaking so the truth comes out less harsh.

"Forget my father, Y/N! I get to choose who I want in my life and that's you." Adrien said, the passion emphasized in each word. He truly meant it.

"But you want to make him proud..." I replied. I looked at Adrien, who was now walking with eyes shut and an upside down smile.

"I can't let him down. He's.. We've been through so much after losing my mother. Disobeying him would break his heart further." Adrien said, opening his eyes and stopping in his tracks.

I stopped beside him, rubbing my arms to create warmth. Adrien didn't look at me, but from what I could tell he was struggling with something in his mind.

"Y/N, you wouldn't keep anything from me, right?" Adrien asked. My hands started clamming up, the pit in my stomach grew larger, and I felt as if the air was being sucked out of me. The necklace around my neck now suddenly weighed a ton and I was struggling to fight the guilt.

Now was the time to be honest. Completely honest. Adrien had the right to know what I know.

'Adrien, your dad is the bad guy tormenting all of Paris and he has a secret lair in your house.'

No, I couldn't say that. It'd hurt him and I didn't want to imagine Adrien getting akumatized by his own father because of me. What I said in the next few moments would change everything.

"Adrien..."

Falling for Twoजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें