Part 1: Control || Ch 8 || Memories

It all came back at once.

My vision changed and the room in front of me disappeared. I found myself on a vast green landscape, birds chirping and laughter all around me. I was in a park, in Konoha, I could see the stone faces of the six Hokage in front of me. Yes, six. My father's face wasn't there yet. Turning my head I noticed a small pond and ran towards it. As my reflection stared back at me I realized that I wasn't quite myself either. This time it wasn't the future I was living but the past. Small and young my childish face blinked multiple times before flinching upon hearing another cheerful voice.

''Onii-chan! Let's play!''

My little sister was just some metres away from me, happily playing on the grass with the toys she had brought with her. Waving towards me she was smiling and calling me to her. In a trance my body moved into her direction - I remembered this day, another peaceful day of my past before Tou-cha became Hokage.

It had been a wonderful and cheerful past.

''Coming!'', I shouted back.

As soon as my legs began to move the ground below us began to shake and I tripped over my own two feet. As I slowly got up my body was trembling and I could hear screams all around me, though they had changed to desperate cries needing help. As I blinked again the scenery changed and everything was on fire. The green grass was a sea of raging flames swallowing everything in their way, the Hokage's faces were no more as everything around the park was covered in a black substance, destroying it. Looking down the ground was split and a bottomless pit was just in front my pitiful body. Quickly I moved away from it but something on the other side had caught my attention.

''Onii-chan!''

''Hima!''

My little sister was still on the other side. Just as I tried to find a way to get her the pit below us began to crumble even more until her small body was holding the edge of the cold stone.

''Don't worry! I will save you! I'm coming!''

Just as I prepared to jump over the part that was still connected I felt my body get pulled back and myself hitting the hard ground again.

Who do you think will you save, Uzumaki Boruto?

What? Hima! Hima, I have to get to-

But as I looked back to the other side nobody was there.

What? But, I have to, I have to...

There is nothing you need to do, Uzumaki Boruto.

But...but...someone...someone needed my help...who...

My heart was throbbing, it felt as if something - someone- was missing, as if I had forgotten something important, something I wanted to protect. Everything around me became dark as I felt my head spinning and closed my eyes to get over the pain. Suddenly the pressure that had held me back disappeared and I grabbed my face to shake away this nasty feeling. It felt as if I had a hole in my heart.

Just seconds later everything became normal and smell of ash that had been ripping my lungs apart disappeared. The lost shrieks and cold claws that had been trying to destroy my soul vanished as I opened my eyes again and found myself back in the room where Mitsuki and Konohamaru-niichan were sleeping calmly.

Realizing that I was back I noticed my clothes sticking to me as I was covered in sweat. I decided to change to my fighting gear already as I knew that I wouldn't be able to sleep anymore. Stepping into the bathroom I splashed the cold water in my face leaving a pleasant feeling on my skin. My pale reflection was starring back at me in confusion.

I was feeling less and less motivated.

Why was I even trying? I didn't have anything to protect. The village? What do I care if I have to suffer so much? Why did I want to come here? I should have stayed at home.

Yet something in the back of my head was nagging me, trying to tell me that I did care, I did love my village, I loved my family.

Mom, dad and...

Who... who else... someone...someone was missing but no matter how much I tried I couldn't remember who. I just felt empty on the inside.

''It can't be...''

This had happened to me before and I finally realized a connection. The moments when I felt dizzy after waking up feeling parts of me slowly disappear finally made sense.

''He is stealing my memory.''

I felt sick, it was hard not to puke as I felt the realization swipe over me leaving me baffled and sad as I knew that I couldn't remember something - someone- important to me. I knew that I couldn't ask anyone either as they would know that something was wrong with me and sent me back to the village. Again, I had to wait. Again, I couldn't solve this mystery on my own.

''Damn it...'', I whispered and bit my lip to stop my tears from falling.

Who, who, who did I want to protect?!

I didn't even hear someone enter the bathroom and call out to me while I was cursing. The moment I felt a hand touching my shoulder I snapped and slapped it away.

Momoshiki wouldn't get me a second time.

''Let me go! Stop taking everything from me Momoshiki! Stop-''

My voice abruptly stopped as I realized that the person in front of me wasn't Momoshiki but Konohamaru-niichan. He was looking as confused and hurt as I was on the inside. But the fury that had been boiling for long had taken over and sadly erupted in front of him.

''Konohamaru-niichan, I- I'm sorry-''

I glimpsed him moving in my direction before I closed my eyes as I feared that he would be angry at me but instead I felt my body pressed against his as he was embracing me in a calming hug.

''It's ok, Boruto. Noone will hurt you. I am here, Mitsuki and Sarada are also with you. You don't need to fear losing anything.''

Surprisingly I felt my body relax, I could breathe calmly again, it was as if he had whispered magical words that clouded my mind to believe what he said.

Or maybe I could really just trust them. Maybe I could go through this with their help.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Author's note: I had the best headache while writing this so please excuse any typos and things that don't make sense.