Part 1: Control || Ch 6 || Letting go

It was cold. I thought I would freeze to death. Then again, I felt as if my body was nothing than a corpse anymore, a lifeless, soulless and empty shell.

As soon as I had entered my room Konohamaru-sensei had reserved for Mitsuki and I, I fell on the bed unable to move even though Mitsuki and Konohamaru-sensei tried to get me to move again, at least take a shower they said, you will feel better they said.

I don't know how I dragged my weak body into the bathtub but I stayed in there for a long time just thinking trying to ignore the pain. Staring at my naked body I could see the Kāma/Karma (i have no idea what's the right one pls help) spreading already until my shoulder. All was covered in black marking burning my cold skin. I could feel it tearing me apart, slowly ripping off my flesh and digging deeper and deeper until it reached my darkest parts.

Focus on the water.

My eyes gazed upon the tap, small drops of water were falling down one by one in a set rhythm. Each time one reached the water surface I felt a piece of me disappearing. Memories of my childhood came into my view and each time they were torn and burned in front of me until only ashes remained.

Who am I again?

Why am I here again?

Somewhere far away I could hear a deep, malicious voice pushing me to give up.

Give up what?

It was slowly consuming me from head to toe.

Drip, drip, drop.

Another memory flashed in front of my eyes, my little sister and I were playing in the park, one of those days where my dad hadn't been the Hokage yet. It was all still peaceful. Even though I had already had this cursed power in my eye at that time I hadn't known about it. It was one of those days where I could be happy, where nothing could go wrong.

I hadn't felt that miserable as I did now.

Come Boruto. Give up. You are no match against me. It's time to fulfill your duty as my vessel.

My mind struggled to hold the control but I was slowly drifting away, unable to defend myself. Somewhere far away I heard other noises, they seemed to be at a different place, not quite the one where this voice was coming from. They slammed against my eardrums making them shake as the noises began to get louder and louder.

"฿ØⱤɄ₮Ø! ฿ØⱤɄ₮Ø! ł₴ ɆVɆⱤɎ₮Ⱨł₦₲ ₳ⱠⱤł₲Ⱨ₮? ₳₦₴₩ɆⱤ ₥Ɇ!"

I knew that voice but who was it? Why was I here again? Why...

Ignore it Boruto. It's not important. Come to me, give yourself up. You have nobody, you don't belong anywhere, you are a nobody.

I...

I...

I am...

"฿ØⱤɄ₮Ø!!"

I am...Uzumaki Boruto.

Light erupted around me and I felt myself getting dragged back into reality, away from the corrupting voice. I could hear it scream after me in frustration but I wasn't going to return to it. I grabbed to any hope I could still hold and let myself guide by the new noises.

They felt warm, like a hug around your body filling you with happiness and safety. I could trust them, whoever this was voice was it was trustworthy. They would mean no harm.

My eyes flew open and hastily I sprang out of the water. I realized that my head had been fully covered with water before as my hair was completely wet. I had been drowning without even noticing. Trying to steady my breathing I continued to crawl out of the bathtub to find a towel. Exhausted I fell on the floor looking at my fragile body.

The emblem was still there. But somehow it felt as if a burden had been removed from me even if it was only for a second.

Just as I breathed out again and tried to relax another loud noise made me flinch. I looked in front of me and noticed the door being almost torn apart from heavy knockings.

"Boruto! Boruto! Are you alright? Answer me or I will come in!", Konohamaru-sensei threatened.

Slowly I opened my mouth but no sound was coming through. Instead multiple coughs which were ripping my lungs apart escaped making Konohamaru-sensei scream even louder and full of worry.

Pulling myself together I crawled to the door, unlocking it to find Konohamaru-sensei almost hitting me with it as he pushed it open with force.

"Ah, sorry, I had such a great bath I didn't even hear a thing. Sorry about that Konohamaru-niichan."

I pressed out my best smile but he could clearly see that I was forcing my muscles to act like that.

"Boruto...", he murmured and stopped midtracks as he noticed the emblem on my right arm.

His eyes widened in shock and fear. He probably thought I was a monster, and he was right. Maybe he would turn away in disgust.

I am alone after all.

But to my surprise I felt a force helping me to get up. Konohamaru-niichan put me on a chair and brought a pair of pyjamas provided by the inn. Patting my head he smiled and assured me that I could count on him if I needed help. He then left the room to let me dress as I was a big and strong shinobi.

My chest felt lighter and calmer as he closed the door again. A small chuckle left my lips as I put on the clothes.

I am not alone after all.