Part 1: Control || Ch 7 || Haunted

Slowly I put on my pyjamas and opened the door to the bedroom to find Mitsuki and Konohamaru-niichan standing in the middle watching me with worry.

"Boruto, are you-", Mitsuki began but I interrupted him.

"Yeah, I am alright. Stop asking, I feel super dattebasa!"

"How about you stay here? We will carry out the mission without you. I know that you want to go with us but in your condition it's no good kore.", Konohamaru-niichan suggested making me boil with fury.

I wouldn't let any stupid pain stand in my way. Besides, I had to gain respect as a shinobi, no pity as the Hokage's pathetic son.

"You know I'm not satisfied with that."

"Boruto, just listen-"

"No. I'm already here. It would be a waste sitting in this room all day knowing that you fight there and risk your lives. You really think I'd let you do that?!"

"Boruto! Just look at yourself! You are not talking, you are not trying to open up! All we can do is watch you suffer, watch you cry in pain! We don't know how to help if you don't let us!"

His words stabbed me like a thousand kunais being thrown at me. In truth I wanted to tell him so much but I just didn't know how I could explain any of the things happening to me.

My gaze was fixing the ground as I couldn't stand watching Konohamaru-niichan in the eye, seeing his desperation was punishment enough.

Without another word I walked to the bed and hid under the blankets. I knew it was stupid to just end the discussion like this but I didn't know what to say anymore.

I would just finish this mission, return to Konoha and find out about what was happening to me once and for all.

I would stop this endless nightmare and return to my normal and boring life.

Closing my eyes I prayed for no more voices, no more burning sceneries, no more blood, no more death, no more suffering. And somehow my wish had been granted. Just for once, the first time in so many weeks, I was able to sleep normally. Finally my body was able to rest, restore chakra and be at peace. It was as if just for once all of my worries had disappeared, any trespassers had vanished and I was left all alone.

I could breathe calmy, my limbs and muscles weren't screaming of pain, my mind was empty, giving no energy away that could be wasted for another round of hopeless nightmares.

It was as if I was living the calm before the storm.

It was as if I knew that this wasn't a good but a bad sign.

As doubt and insecurity rose I opened my eyes and slowly lifted my upper body. It was all dark, Mitsuki and Konohamaru-niichan were sleeping on the beds next to mine, probably after checking a hundred times whether I wasn't suffering.

As my eyes adapted to the dim atmosphere I finally could make out the room. My ears caught the sound of Konohamaru-niichan snoring and I couldn't help myself but chuckle.

The first time I was able to laugh again, sincerely and happily.

It was as if nothing could go wrong this night.

Finally, found you Uzumaki Boruto-kun.

A sadistic and cheerful voice shattered the relief I had been feeling before. As if I had been woken up from the genjutsu the pain began to crawl up my right arm until it reached my eye and burned it.

"Argh..."

To steady myself my hand quickly moved to my chest as it was moving too fast because of my body trying to sustain the sudden burst of pain by fighting against it. My heart was pulsing rapidly so that I feared it would destroy itself.

I wasn't alone. I had never been alone.

He was always with me. He was always haunting me.

The shivering from the fear I had felt disappeared as I felt cold hands touching my shoulders from behind and a disgusting smell reaching my noise from the intruder's breathing. His claws dug deep into my flesh making me wince.

You hadn't really thought this would last for long, right?

"Kuso...", I whispered feeling my sanity crying out to me as I slowly felt more of me breaking.

Momoshiki... I won't be beaten that easily.