Part 1: Control || Ch 4 || Worry

Somehow I had managed to stand up and walk back to my room. In a daze I put on my fighting gear and quickly headed to the door hoping to slip through before someone would catch me.

But of course fate wasn't going to let me get off that easily.

"Boruto, wait!", Tochā shouted and stopped me  by putting his hand on my shoulder.

"You shouldn't wander off like that without saying goodbye. Especially in your state you shouldn't go alone. At least let me accompany you until you meet up with your team."

Knowing that arguing was impossible I nodded. The small affections had grown in the past months. He was always so busy that he had never had time for us before. But the nightmares had made him skip some of his work to be with me even if it was only for a second. I loved it, I wanted to love it, he finally paid more attention to me, and yet not a single flicker of emotion could cross my face while he was standing next to me like the father I had always wanted.

After waiting for any response he said goodbye to Mom and Hima and together we left the house. To save my strength he insisted of walking instead of jumping over the roofs like shinobi would do it. He was overprotective.

"You are going to be late, Tochā..."

"So what? My son is my priority."

"Haha, really? I hope that your worries won't make you quit being Hokage."

"Boruto!"

"Sorry..."

My mind wasn't able to think straight anymore, I was uttering nonsense, sadly mean nonsense. The words were flowing like a stream without stopping, I was too tired to control what I was saying. Even while walking I could feel my right arm burning, I didn't even dare to look at the emblem, I knew it was spreading. Trying to look casual I hid my hands in my pockets and looked in front of me even though I could feel Tochā's worried gaze.

"Boruto, if you want to tell me anything you can be sure that you can trust me."

"I know..."

"We all worry for you."

"I know..."

"So maybe...?"

"Tochā..."

I stopped midtracks making him halt abruptly as well and looking at me with concern. My face was focusing the ground as I couldn't stare  into his eyes full of worry and regret. I knew he was blaming himself but what for?

I didn't know myself what was going on. It was all too confusing to understand, I was lost myself. How could I explain that to him?

"Tochā, I...I don't know what to tell you.", forcing the best smile I could do I continued,"But if I find out anything about me I'll tell you. I promise. And don't worry. I'm fine, I'm a shinobi after all!"

It was a lie. It hurt. Pain was my only friend these days.

I could feel Tochā's heart sinking, he knew that I was lying, he wasn't that much of a fool.

"Hold on to that promise ok?"

"Yeah..."

The rest of the walk nobody talked, I was too occupied thinking and resting, enjoying the moments without any unusual appearances. Tochā on the other hand was just silent, probably because he was trying to figure out a way to talk to me.

It was my fault that he was feeling so down, I knew it and I hated it. I wished I could change something but I didn't know how.

Soon we arrived at the meeting point. I had slown everyone down since Mitsuki, Sarada and Konohamaru-oniichan were already waiting for me to arrive.

Of course their annoyed reaction quickly changed - at least Sarada and Konohamaru-oniichan's - when they realized that Tochā, the Hokage, was walking with me and their anger quickly disappeared. My mind was still racing but I could hear some of my dad's words, saying something about protecting me and my unstable health situation. Their looks of concern confirmed my hearing. After my dad was done with the instructions he turned to me and hugged me tightly as goodbye.

"Good luck Boruto, and stay safe."

Safe. I didn't even understand what it meant anymore.