0.59 | Supposedly Our Last Night At The Mansion

Start from the beginning

***

Joseph had refreshed himself with a bath in one of the mansion's guest rooms and was now sipping on a ginger tea with Mrs Warner sitting on a wooden outdoor chair on the terrace porch. She was looking at Ruby worriedly.

Ruby had woken up. Her mint green gown moved in waves by the howling wind. She curled her hands at the handrail and watched the tight security patrolling around their habitation. Whereas Joseph was momentarily lost admiring her auburn hair floating about.

"I'm unaware. Why would Arnold kidnap El? Is it because he couldn't cope with my happiness?"

Joseph pursed his lips, knowing she caught the wrong end of the rope.

The harsh sound of the lightning caused the window panes to vibrate in the corridor. And as it hit the membrane of Ruby's ears she sprinted to Joseph. Regardless of the hot liquid globules that jumped on his wrist, he draped a hand around her back. "It's okay. It's okay."

"Don't leave me," Ruby mumbled against his chest. Her hands
shivered as she clutched his shirt tightly.

Joseph kept the half-filled cup on the table, bending a little as Ruby constrained his movement. And to crown it all, she jumped and wrapped her legs around his torso like a child.

Their feelings for each other were nothing new since Mrs Warner had seen how desperate Joseph was to see her when they were at the hospital in the first instance. But this level of craziness did put her in a state of wonder. Why didn't El share it with me? Was she afraid that he was a mere worker for me and that their relationship would not be accepted? She thought.

Joseph ran his hand on her back several times, humming something in her ear. He touched the gauge to see if it needed to be changed.

Mrs Warner noted his actions with a keen eye. He dug his face in her hair and utterly forgot about everyone's presence in consoling her. She was more saddened than surprised by the closeness they shared. "Joseph, she will not sleep otherwise. I'm telling you to stay. Please."

Joseph let out a shivery breath and made his way to her bedroom.

Mary walked past the two of them and stood on Joseph's spot.

"Elizabeth likes him a lot." Mrs Warner faked a laugh as she felt offended by her daughter for not avowing her choice. She concluded that Elizabeth was keeping things from her just like how Mark had been doing. She was bathing in resentment as both her children had sketched a line of privacy from her.

****

Only when Ruby got a complete hold over her senses, did she feel him drag her hand along the sheet. As if Joseph would fight anyone even in his sleep to keep her close to him. His flimsy saliva railed between her fingers. With little pain hindering her action, she tilted and roved her free hand over her hero's head gently.

Joseph's lips moved against her skin, head tucked more firmly. Ruby threw her head back in silent laughter. In those moments of joy, her brain overruled her heart and she needed to know the hidden facts about Joseph's family.

"Joseph . . . Joseph. Get up."

"Hmmph what happened? Are you fine?" He rubbed at his eyes. Ruby climbed down from the bed and sat in a crisscrossed position. Joseph was worried the whole while until she assured him with her sweet smile. "Ruby, you know what the doctor said, he said that you need-"

"Doses of Joseph." She deadpanned. "And that too every single day for quicker results."

His thick eyebrows were pretzelled as his lips ticked upward in a silly grin. "You-"

"Joseph, you never told me about your father and your siblings?"

"What made you ask this question?"

He glowered at her. It had been quite a while since he had been in such a light mood. At first, Ruby thought of changing the topic, but she had the right to know about the man she wanted to date and possibly marry in the future.

"Tasher told me everything about your father. I just want to hear it from your mou─"

"So listen: I had a twin brother whose name was Jacob Holden. He was fascinated with the idea of living in this mansion and going to high society school unlike me who studied in a local government school. I showed myself as a self-independent boy ─ as an idiot boy, who would sweat his guts arranging the school fees but never ask for a penny from his father. I was internally jealous of Jacob somewhere. I thought maybe I should be an underling too, but couldn't mend my heart to do so." He chuckled ignorantly. "But I loved him. Although we fought a lot."

Ruby saw his eyes start to brim slightly. "But, after the car accident. Everything changed. My mother looked so shattered. There was a time when she couldn't stop bragging about her sons ─ having two sons was like having two crutches who would support her in her old age. As a result, she hardly ate anything or talked to anyone. Simply lived her life in that one room."

Ruby rubbed his tear from her thumb.

"Anyway, soon enough Mrs. Warner gave me the offer to take my father's place and help her foundation to get stabilized. An idea crawled to me in the middle of the night. That I would seek revenge for my mother's bad mental condition."

Ruby cradled his face.

"And that is why when I first saw you." He withered and changed his position to look into her eyes. "I could see my goals in you. The only risk I undertook was that I never mentioned my father and brother's names in the materials I gave you to learn by heart. I ignored it willfully, despite knowing if anyone asked for the details ─ my plan will fail. I didn't want to obligate myself to explain these sensitive talks to a stranger. But you see . . . I was mad . . . I thought like it is my very own battle . . . nobody should know about it." He began to hyperventilate slightly.

"It was a long time ago." Ruby hugged him. "But now, you have to forget about revenge. It wouldn't bring your brother and father back into the scene. You must really hate El."

"I'd kill her-" he admitted, looking into her eyes.

Ruby kissed his forehead. "Thankfully, I'm Ruby, not Elizabeth."

Joseph started talking about something else altogether, "By the way, it's funny how we are in this room by everyone's consent. You are incredible Ruby." He twirled her hair strand in his little finger.

"What? I was scared like hell. I didn't pretend to have you beside me. Wait ─ you were not on the bed with me. What's the point of this fuss?" she pointed sharply.

"I love you, Ruby." He lay back his head and his fingers dipped in her hair.

"Pig Muscle, I love you a thousand times more." She smirked and turned her back briskly. "Just one thing. I know it's silly, stupid, bizarre and the like. That's why I'm not facing you. Since it is our last night here, I want you to have a lick of everything in here from this bed, it's ultra-comfy, to the bathroom's red jasper marble tub, it's unique. The sofa chair is also very soft. A duplicate brand will be all good for our new home, Joseph─"

The silence dropped a hint that he was asleep.

Word count - 1890

a/n; please don't forget to vote and comment!