0.51 | You Are Giving Me A Heart attack

Joseph picked the papers from the table and grabbed her hand. "Come here." They made their way to the kitchen stove. He turned the burner to high.

Ruby watched the ring of erect blue flames and looked at the thick sheets he was shoving toward her the next moment. "If you think they are just papers; then, they aren't. Burn the contract into ashes once and for all. Destroy the deceptive existence of Elizabeth Warner that has only harmed you. Do it right away," he said boldly.

"Yes. I guess Elizabeth's time is over. I'm sorry for using your name and place, hun." As she extended her hand over the stove the white paper turned into a raven. Ruby sighed and placed her head on his arm.

"Hmmph . . . you have done a great job. Go, and sit there. I'll set the table." Joseph rubbed her arm and just moved a bit when Ruby projected something.

"I'm super hungry. But, let me go and call your mother also. Last night, I was hardly in a position to pay a mind to her. I hope she must've felt bad about it."

"Ruby, umm, she's not here," Joseph spoke only to let the silence complete the rest of his sentence, which was not acceptable to Ruby.

"Who did she go with? Oh, yes I remember. Sarah had told me that she has become really active these days."

Joseph opened a big mouth and nodded frantically. "Yes. She's gone out for a while. It's such a beautiful village in the south; there's a small lake where fishermen go out fishing every morning and sell them in the local market. Seafood lovers come there especially to fill their freezers with salmons and crabs."

"Wow. I'm not a fan of seafood. But, I think if I fantasize about you as one of those fishermen, it would be a beautiful sight. Throwing fishing net with focused eyes and applying all of your strength to pull it up, while I'll be standing on the shore with a glass of coconut milk."

"Glass of coconut milk," he pressed in amazement and grabbed a ramped hold of her hair, Ruby's head dropped back but her eyes shot upward. He playfully jerked her head on every period. "It surprises me to know that you haven't changed a bit. That life failed so miserably to make a socialite out of you."

"That life didn't suit me. I should cheer the fact that I was born to live like a simple girl without limos and other million-dollar things wrapped around my finger."

"I appreciate everything about you," he said admiringly and pecked at her forehead. "You are a blessing."

"But, I wonder if Stephanie would appreciate it?" She pouted.

He sizzled, producing a low cheep. "Can't be sure." His eyebrows furrowed and he placed a hand on the counter. "You have a general air of somewhat controversial self-righteousness."

She smiled sarcastically. "And?"

"Exceptionally opinionated at times." He jabbed a finger at her forehead.

"And?"

"Voracious advocate of humanity." He squinted his eyes at her as he pretended to read her face.

"What are you implying to say, Mr Holden? I'll turn my back on you and find some other young guy if you hate me that much."

"And I'll see how will you do that," with that, he wrapped his arms around her waist, the action jangled her nerves and she pushed him lightly. The last thing she would like to do was to fight with him. She had learned the security he provided her just by being around her couldn't be replaced by any other bodyguard or a body of security staff.

Ruby unconsciously touched his abs and in a sudden realization asked, "Where and when did you get the time to build this gut-wrenching body? I don't see any types of gym equipment anywhere in the house."

"I'll tell you once you explain to me why dour gut wrench after seeing this?" His doubt was evanescent once she quoted her point.

"Because you look unbearably hot."

Joseph pinched her nose. "Don't forget
to include my age in your thought process."

"I'm telling you in the strictest confidence that I'm in full support of the six years gap between us. You will teach me patience as I teach you impatience. What's say, old man? The partnership will go a long way." She waited for a fist bomb and smiled ear to ear when he reciprocated.

"Little chatterbox." He chuckled and clipped her mouth between his thumb and index finger.

"Okay, jokes apart. I want to talk to you about something very important." She sat on her tush comfortably and turned him to face her properly.

Joseph's eyes searched her face. She didn't speak for a few seconds. Totally mute. Joseph held her hands and urged her to say something, "Please, tell me."

"Fine. I know you would rebuff upon hearing this. Nevertheless, it's my choice at the end of the day. I want to tell everything about this subterfuge to Mrs. Warner."

"Ruby, leave it on me. I'll convince her in one way or another. It would be utter foolishness if I allow you to; it's not good from your safety point of view." Anger sustained on his visage did cause her to cringe. But, but, but . . . she revolted.

"Joseph, don't you think she would feel so bad ─ me, leaving the mansion, boycotting to see her ever again? But at least a word of thanks and forgiveness could lessen the weight on her heart. She loved me as if I were her real daughter. I want to come clean."

"That's right. But is there any guarantee that she wouldn't hurt you or keep you imprisoned in your room? No. There is not. What if she forces you to get hitched up with Thomas again? No, this is not the last-ditch option." Whatever Joseph spoke was correct in its place, she couldn't argue. Still, she tried.

This emerged as a point of contention.

"I'll beg for forgiveness," she added confidently. "I know she's not an ill-tempered woman. So, be rest assured. She wouldn't harm someone whom she has treated with so much love."

"Fine. I will take you there only if you don't come in between as I take the entire blame on myself. Cause I'm the one who proposed this plan to you." He pointed at himself, making it clear.

"We'll decide this on the way," she warmed up her palms and stood up hearing the doorbell ring. "I think it's our nosy neighbors again. Let me surprise them."

Joseph shot up and marched toward the fridge to take out the pomegranate juice.

As she opened the door wide, yelling "Surprise!" Ruby's smile faltered after acknowledging the appearance of the unwanted guest.

Word count - 1088

a/n; who's at the door?
Plz vote, and comment 😂.