0.22 | 991 Call : Hello! Is This The Police

Unfortunately, she became prey to the most unthinkable act of humiliation ever.

Her fingers fluttered across her cheek to feel the heat of what happened to be a tight, thunderous slap. Little did she know, those efforts did any good to her shattered state of mind. She muttered, without looking him in the eyes, "As per my expectations Mr Holden." Then, she locked her gaze on his empty eyes. "Great."

In the meantime, the tides of disappointment broke over his face. He glanced sideways, his chest was still rocking up and down with rigorous breaths; his lips parted to say something--maybe her name, or an apology. But it was too late for anything. Ruby hustled out of the main door with a strong determination never returning.

Stephanie ran to him, pleading, digging her outgrown fingernails into his sinewy arms. "Joseph! What have you done? It was clearly not her fault. Rather she helped me heal my past wounds. Bring her back Joseph! Bring her back!"

Joseph's nod for admittance was hesitant after seeing the white gauge wrapped around her palm. But he had realized his mistake sooner and his gaze strayed to the door. He rushed out like a hero risking it all, only to save her heroine.

Ruby stalked off the street aimlessly. Wiping at her tears as she muttered, "I look like a misfit in his house. Yes, definitely. I shouldn't have gotten her out of her room or helped her in the first place. Why am I interfering in his life? Whatever he says is correct. But why do I always have to act like a fucking blockhead?"

"Ruby! Get back here!"

Ruby heard a loud and clear voice ringing from behind. Although it was an immense surprise to see The Great Joseph running after someone, still it didn't give her legs a strong reason to stop marching. She covered her ears and continued striding at an increasing pace.

"Ruby stop right there," Joseph called out through gritted teeth, and in a matter of few seconds he pulled her from her forearm, the typical style of controlling her. "I want to apologize for being stupid. It was a sudden outburst─"

"For the second time. Oh, you probably don't care much about the calculations in my case." Ruby tried to move away, but Joseph pulled her back. "Your anger always emerges in response to me. And you know this fine as hell that this fake apology is not going to compensate for what you have put me through these couple of weeks," Ruby yelled her sufferings out, pulling her arm away. "If I'm such a pain in your ass, then kill me already."

"Ruby, think before you speak." Joseph raised his index finger in the air. "We can talk about this at home also. It can wait─"

"No, it can't bloody wait," Ruby roared in a heartbeat; her fists clung against her thighs. "Why have you kept her hidden inside that dark room? It's been a dog's age since she got out of that damn place. She's living like a hostage in her own house. Care to explain, Joseph what the hell is going on here?"

"Ruby. Don't you think this matter a little too personal for you to put your finger in?" Joseph said, narrowing his eyes to crinkled slits. "I can't give you a way to get intimate with my grief, trauma and pain."

"Save it, Joseph."

"Whatever scene your eyes witnessed today is the direct consequence of her actions. She owns it. She did it to herself. In the early days when she was frightened into a fit, she used to experience episodes of anger, depression, and anxiety that lasted from a few hours to days. And now, it has been years since she has never really recovered."

"Why does it look like you made no attempts to drag her out of hell? You never tried to talk to her about this?"

"Back then, I did approach her a few times."