0.59 | Supposedly Our Last Night At The Mansion

The sky became violet and the rim of the luminary moon cast its glow over the ostensibly dark environment. Joseph carried her in a bridal style to their SUV. His eyes maneuvered over her features with concern. Tasher never realized that he had stayed for long. "Joseph, you are coming along?" he asked.

Ruby grasped Joseph's shirt. "I'm scared," she murmured in a sleepy tone. Nevertheless, he tucked her away into the leather back seat as she fell silent.

Mrs. Warner stood behind Joseph so that as he sidled away she could get in. "This area isn't safe. We should depart now. Everyone we are leaving!"

In the background, only an askew line of streetlights could be seen up to a point where it appeared like a planetary dot and the rest of the sight offered bleakness.

On the second note, Mrs Warner couldn't afford to stand in such a rustic environment for a minute more. It was a thing to be applauded that she sat in that tiny hospital with the disgusting reek of phenyl without spurting 'ews and ughs'.

The mute flashy German-made cars waited to roar at her word. Tasher scooted toward his car. The crowd thinned, and Joseph straightened his back and turned at her attentively. "I'll just thank the doctor and come."

Mrs Warner affirmed.

Abruptly, Joseph buzzed inside and mentioned to the nurse, "Where can I see the doctor who handled my case?"

"She's probably having her tea at the moment. Go straight and turn left. You will see the kitch─"

Joseph didn't look up and padded in the direction being vaguely told. Just as he was about to take a left turn. He heard a ringing voice, "Watch your steps, mister!"

He backed away, hands unconsciously raising upward.

"Oh, so it's you." She asked a little too happy to see him again, "Do you want to have some tea?"

Joseph sounded natural ignorantly, "I came here to thank you. You saved her." He pushed his hair back. "What could have gone south, you did everything to avoid it, I'm grateful to you."

"Nothing new. By the way, is she your partner?"

"Yes-" She wasn't as astir as before upon hearing that.

"Doctor Jessica," he spelled her name carefully as his eyes brush past her badge. "I have a favor to ask: Please inform me about this man on this number if he calls by for anything?" He showed her the photo of Arnold on his phone.

She nodded after storing his features in her head. "Although, I've not seen him before but will keep it in mind. Is he a . . . criminal?"

"It was nice meeting you." Joseph quickly basked the curious ending of the conversation satisfactorily and retreated his steps.

"Me too." Jessica couldn't stop staring at the man's physique as her mouth was slightly parted, hung in a temporary glee. "I wonder how would she be happy with a man who doesn't reply to the questions asked?" she muttered to herself in a half-distraught way.

Her peer peeped over her shoulder which took Jessica's breath away, "It's because you are not his lover."

Jessica was struck dumb, hand reaching out for her chest. "Would have been better if you chose the other way round," she remarked with a tinge of sarcasm and went about to check the patient after discarding the ceramic cup.

"He was cold and hot, both." Her friend enjoyed talking about him.

Jessica went on her way without venturing to return to the topic.

"Why? Did I say something wrong? I mean we only treat cases like laborers' back pain, wounds from lifting a stack of bricks, and their wives' proliferating babies. You sure he wasn't here to have a quickie with you or something?"