0.13 | Mid Night Adventures

Joseph clambered out of the cab, looking inebriated. With his shirt tucked halfway and hair growing untamed after a perilous failed attempt of shoving his hair back, instead, a forelock fell and teased his eyebrows cutely.

He took out his wallet and simultaneously dropped it down twice to the ground uncaringly. The sign of his drunkness was seen affecting his motor skills to the very extent. Ruby hissed after seeing him bend down and regain his balance as he got on his feet again.

He drew from his wallet his credit card while resting his elbows on the cab's window, extending or more like tossing the plastic card in the driver's face.

The driver's size shrunk as he fumbled with the card while swiping it through the barcode machine. His skinny fingers pushed the wrong buttons and he instantly started redoing it.

"And deduct a few more bucks. I'm paying on Ma'am's behalf. Drop her only at Casa Clinton Apartment and not anywhere else." He jabbed his finger in the driver's chest. Slightly looming in from the driver's window, he took a gander at her with pink-dipped eyes as if he didn't dare to talk to her in the face, he chose the one-arm-distance approach.

He knew her address and more importantly when he was under full sail- drunk. Ruby's eyebrows forced together into a pronounced frown.

"What do you mean by anywhere else? Where will I go at this hour of the night?" Ruby gave him the once-over, scoffing at his far-fetched imaginative universe.

"Possibly to the places you don't want to share much information about," he spat tempestuously, rubbing at his eyes to finally look at her.

"You are hammered, Mr Holden. You seriously need some medication besides plastic surgery on your face," Ruby jeered out, breathing out at once as the confined space began to block her windpipes. "I simply hate your crocodile kind of jaw, your jutted-out lips, and those gigantic owlish eyes emitting laser rays all the time I look at you!"

"She sure has a big mouth, stacking up comments full of incoherence might be your specialty." He laughed in his slurred speech. "She blabbers a lot, man I suggest you plug in your earphones before she blows ur brains out.

Ruby's head slung backward as the taxi jerked up, moving as slow as molasses. Hitting on the graphite road, her eyes were glued outside, particularly at Joseph who did open the main gate of his house but slumped down as he entered.

A yelp escaped her lips, she placed her hand on her chest without missing a beat. Rotating her head desperately to find out what happened to him, but only saw the buildings sweeping past. She got worried about that arrogant man's state. But why? He never treated her right but she felt for him as she was being prone to her humanitarian side.

Closing her eyes and with a quick introspection, she patted his shoulder and barked, "Take on the right. Fast."

"But-but he told not to dro-"

"He's an asshole. But tell me, are you an asshole too?" Ruby scratched her eyebrow and felt like slapping the punk right away.

"No-oo," he said, moderately unsure to correct the euphemism for being obedient.

"Good thing. Then just stop the cab," Ruby ordered him, crossing her arms against her puffed-up chest.

"Oka-a," he agreed.

Ruby got off the taxi and reconnoitered the foreign surrounding. "We didn't take a turn until we crossed that red building." She thought to herself and kept on moving mindlessly.

It was dark, silent dead outside, the only limited light spilling on the road was from the streetlights, standing at a distance of a few meters from each other. She recalled the direction and hot-footed to his house, mainly because of the vociferation of the birds and animals somewhere around her. Ruby could feel her heart taking leaps and the soreness of her feet.