0.45 | I Want To See Joseph, Please!

At half-past five, they reached their destination. As they got off the bus, Mrs Warner's men got about with their suitcases and even led their way to the grand hotel.

It was a light shower of snow and Mrs. Warner let a faint cry of joy, looking at Ruby. "So lovely, isn't it?" As though her efforts to placate Ruby were not enough.

Ruby admired the gossamer showering of snow and happened to glance at a young couple walking at a small distance on the white road. The girl held a ceramic cup of coffee and was teasing her spouse by bringing it close to his mouth and drinking it herself. Ruby laughed at this and the couple seemed to have heard it and exchanged weird glances until Tasher appeared from behind and kept a hand at the small of her back softy. "Let's go."

Much to their satisfaction, they smiled at Ruby. But, she didn't return the smile, looking as agitated as an actor failing two hundred auditions in a row.

There was a new sort of humbleness Tasher was inclined toward which she noticed from the start. For Ruby didn't feel the urge to remove his hand or even say a word or two to stay away from her, as he trod halfway.

Mr. Garfield had gone to the receptionist while the three of them decided (well, it was Mrs. Warner who decided and the rest of them followed her mutely) to spend time alfresco to get a panoramic view of the snow. As a cold breeze rushed in her face, Mrs Warner added in a shivery tone, "I didn't assume it to be this cold."

"I'm with you on that," said Tasher matter-of-factly.

Ruby was scarcely paying any attention to the conversation. Everything was going on so smoothly and perfectly that she didn't feel right about it. Maybe because she was so adjusted to the mishappening affairs occurring in her life─ indefinite of time that the tranquillity began to bother her.

A tumultuous voice characterized by excessive consumption of cigarettes drilled into her ears. "Let's refresh ourselves and meet at the dining hall. Just heard they simmer chicken for six hours."

"Sounds so good!" said Mrs. Warner.

When they moved ahead, Ruby asserted something important, "Mr Garfield, I want to have a word in private."

Tasher turned a poker face and Mrs. Warner grew afraid of the boldness striking her words. "Is everything okay?" she asked carefully.

"That's what I want to figure out." Ruby crossed her arms, savoir-faire soaking Mr Garfield in his own craftiness.

"Katherine. Tasher. Please give us some time," he said and they trekked up the two-tiered entryway covered by a thatched roof and had lounge chairs for resting inside.

"Hmmph . . . stop using your phone and tell me what's the real talk?" he grumbled.

Ruby looked up, disgusted. "What's your plan, huh? I know there's something big and nasty about this whole idea of bringing me up here?"

"The two of you have ruined the entire game already. Knowingly or unknowingly. I don't know." He lit his cigarette and cracked his knuckles. "I still couldn't accept it . . . Joseph betraying me."

"I already told you he didn't do anything. I threw the keys in the water out of anxiety or whatever─"

"No, no, no. I'm not interested in hearing about it. Whether you are trying to save your oh, my darling Joseph, and elope with him, or had some other thing in your mind. The update is that I'm your boss. Your new boss. From now onwards you have to follow my commands. Not his."

"Why are you doing this?" Ruby let out a tired breath, rubbing her brow.

"So, you want to know why?" Initially, he wanted to skip this part but suddenly thought about sharing his grand plans. "I want to bathe in that Olympic-sized swimming pool. I want to sleep in the world's comfiest bed. I want to throw a big pool party for my friends, foes, and chicks. I want to make my strongbox the strongest in the world. And also because I. Want. To. Own. The. Mansion."

Ruby shook her head. She finally understood that this man wanted a world that twisted and bent to his will. "Are you insane? Do you how much she trusts you? She gets offended whenever I speak anything against or bad about you and your son."

"It's fair because I'll get offended if Tasher talks rudely to you. You are dea--r."

"Shut the fuck up! I don't think you will be affected by that. Not even the slightest."

Mr. Garfield laughed and a ball of cough impeded it. He instantly spat it to his right. "You better focus on your relationship with Tasher during these hols. Got it?"

"Why'd you say that?" she stated firmly. Ruby was constantly peeping into his spectacled eyes. She just wanted to confirm if she was thinking right.

"I'll leave it for your talented mind to unfold. For the records, your fake mom doesn't love to be put on waiting."

Ruby interjected, "You are in big trouble, Arnold! If you are taking me for granted."

He froze in his tracks and looked amusingly at her.

Ruby stood in front of him, thrusting her phone up in the air. "I've recorded all your statements on my phone. Arnold, now count your days to death."

He tsked and darted a judging gaze at the device. "You are learning, I see. Tell me who's gonna believe a duper? No wonder, it's my voice. But I easily accuse you of forcing me to say such and such statements at a gunpoint."

Ruby was breathless at the realization.

"On the other hand, I can prove all of your identity documents as fake and get you behind bars right away." His jawline clenched and his lips jutted out, almost going to touch her nose. "I've more experience than you have had hot dinners. So, obey."

***

Ruby just had a warm bath and after they had dinner at the deluxe buffet. She sat across the oriel window and fiddled with the cell phone in her hand. And without much ado, she dialed his number; it got disconnected due to a network problem. Now she had to think of any other alternative.

Staying true to her heart, there was no alternative equivalent to Joseph. So she had no other option than to just sleep the night away with an aspirin tablet. After hearing Arnold's strong statements she wasn't sure about her future at the mansion. Should she discuss it with Joseph── Arnold outcasting him?

Ruby heard someone's patient knock on the door. She assumed it to be Mrs Warner making sure Ruby was tucked into bed properly.

But she was wrong once again.

Word count 1100

Word count 1100

a/n; who's at the door?

*vote for Ruby's safety*