0.08 | This Is Crazy #$%@

The lazy packet slipped from Ruby's hand, she had her eyes fluttered open as open and honest as any child. 'Fuck' blew out just as she realized the new objects swarming around her.

She dabbed her lips, lingering on the saltiness of the nachos that manifested in her mouth. She retracted her neck backward before clambering out of the bed and proceeding to the washroom which was outside of the room. Unalarmed, as her actions were, she stubbed her foot on the edge of a three-legged backless stool guarding the door.

"Double fuck! Just the start." Ruby lowered down, a bitter feeling bubbling in her insides.

The washroom was separate and small, but better than hers in every way. Ruby opened the tap and splashed a handful amount of mildly warm water on her face, water flecked onto the mirror. "Why does morning have to come so early? I miss my bed so much. But this place is also very human. I like it."

She opened a cupboard below the basin and retrieved a face towel, soaking her damp face in it. The next step was to get rid of that foul smell of nachos emitting from her mouth. Her eyes averted on the squeezed tube of toothpaste, endeavoring to search its better half through all the drawers. But got nothing.

Just in the middle of the crisis, a mousey knock on the door lessened the space between her eyebrows. Ruby pulled the door slightly and was greeted by Joseph who was already suited-booted, much to her shock. What was the time, by the way? Had it already been noon? Or maybe . . . eight, to speak in accordance to an officer goers schedule?"

"Guess, you will need this." He offered her a toothbrush, lifting his hand a little to give her easy access to it. Then she recalled, that she too, had working hands that could move up and down on her commands. A genuine smile climbed up on her face, as she took it from him.

"Thanks."

"Then, I shall see you at breakfast in five minutes." He smiled, sucking in a breath as he strolled back before allowing his eyes to travel for one last time across Ruby's face── and body.

"God, this promiscuous man. I should clean the brush thoroughly before using it. Can't risk my precious life over a petty toothbrush layered with cocaine," Ruby mumbled under her breath after clicking the lock harshly.

***

Ruby plopped on the couch as she saw Sarah opening the jar of oatmeal, and pouring hot milk into a utensil. "Need an extra pair of hands?" Ruby asked, jolting up from her seat, and jogging toward Sarah.

"Thanks, it's almost done. Tell me how was your night, did you sleep well?" Sarah asked over her shoulder while her lips lifted only to make the receptive smile back at her. Ruby thought, how could anyone not fall for such meekness?

"It was different. I felt alone," Ruby stated the truth. She missed Emily's prep talk and the habit of caressing her head before she penetrated to sleep. Emily took care of her as an elder sister, coping with her anger, knowing the knack of minimizing it at the same time. Ruby respected Emily a lot; she played the role of her mother in Ruby's life.

"Then, I should request Joseph to accompany you next time. At least you will be able to feel somebody's weight pressed against the mattress next to you, if not his mouth and hands on the working mode." Sarah winked at Ruby as she continued to stir the grains in the boiling ocean of milk.

Ruby chuckled and looked away. Joseph would never do that. He literally, needed to enroll himself in a good three months recreational program focusing on obliterating anger and, well, how to be humble toward women.

She doubted his reserved side as well. Either he was being exceptionally shy or mindfully creative. "Hey, Sarah just wants to know── does he live here alone? What work he does and why did he choose me──" She trod carefully, hoping to get all the answers.