0.35 | Mary Has Major Psychotic Hatred Toward Elizabeth

Three days later, Ruby found herself to be sitting in the library. The only place she thought she would never overshadow, let alone be physically available there. Oddly, she needed some time to rest her mind, her skin, and her character portrayal.

So, the place provided her with the expected tranquillity except for the floor-to-ceiling shelves bursting with tomes before her eyes, wanting her to open them and read what was scripted. Another story ─ no way! Mercifully, she was semiliterate. Ruby folded her hands on the table and softly tucked her head.

Her phone buzzed.

She didn't reply.

Her gifted phone buzzed again.

She had to pick it up and answer Joseph.

She immediately scrawled her hand across the black walnut tabletop and saw a message against the backdrop of a hazy picture of Joseph: I hope you have not forgotten about today's date. Go to Mrs Warner's bedroom and spend time with her. See you tomorrow.

Ruby's mind ticked. She tried to recall the important date schedule along with the events she had learned. For all she knew, it wasn't Elizabeth's birthday. Apart from this, she realized she indeed had forgotten the details. But she was more concerned to know the reason behind Joseph's sudden absenteeism. His dedication to his professional duty was put to question squarely. He had never taken a leave from his job. Ever.

She chuckled after re-reading the message for the fifth time and texted him back as she pronounced every word audibly, "No good morning, Pig Muscle?" Ruby shook her head hopelessly and slipped her feet into her swear-by fuzzy slippers.

"Good morning."

She drawled, lazily lifting her gaze from her phone, "What's so good about the morning?" Suddenly the silence began talking with her. With an expression of horror written on her face, she answered after her teeth clattering became moderate, "Morning Mary."

Ruby stood up and saw Mary's skeptical gaze pinning her against the shelf of the same books she had been imagining about.

"Bring that person to me. I'll teach him how to talk to a highly respectable daughter of a distinguished luminary ─ the woman so popular every child could recite her work for the estranged youth of Seattle."

In the meantime, Ruby noticed how serious she sounded as if she wanted to pick a verbal fight with Ruby instead of the guy she was projecting to in her speech.

"Yeah . . . I should definitely introduce him to you─" Ruby swiped her tongue over her upper lip. Her adrenaline rushed in as she thought how dangerous their love was. Their love ─ was a confusing journey helmed by her. She murmured, "He's always been around you."

"Pardon?" Mary's eyebrows kicked up.

She embarrassed the hell out of herself Now how should she escape from this situation? A criticism of a women's dress style could divert Mary's mind easily, she thought.

"Ah . . .your dress, it looks so depressed and dead. Why is that so?" Ruby pointed at her shapeless muted color tunic and a thick black belt cinched around her wide but fragile waist.

"You are asking me this? Don't you remember what happened on today's date?" Mary plodded to the first shelf. Ruby followed her stern voice and stood beside her.

But a small hint in the form of Mrs Warner was dropped in his message. So, she knew it was related to the lady. How smart she was.

"How is Mrs Warner feeling?"

"Hmmph . . . I told her to take you along to your father's grave. But, she urged me not to. Maybe she didn't want you to relive the grief moment," Mary said and her beaded glass holder shifted on her skin. "But the reality is that her daughter doesn't even care about her late father."