0.10 | The Longest And The Warmest Hug

Suddenly, Ruby went weak in the knees ─ felt too fragile to manage the weight of her solidifying body and mind. At that moment she wished for the ground to open up and swallow her.

She could see confusion drawing upon Joseph's face as his brows furrowed slowly. The pulse drummed behind her ear, and she couldn't think of anything which could save her from Madame Tào's wrath today.

Standing between a startled Joseph and a cruel Madame Tào, menial Ruby struggled to stop her heart from racing and attain normal breathing.

Staring at his eyes all gooey with assessment, she could almost smell her death inching toward her.

Ruby begged for air as she closed her eyes ─ defeated. There was no escape. It was entirely her mistake. She dared to run away from her normal pastures and tried to experiment with her life. And this was the well-sought outcome. Therefore, she surrendered. Her body started rotating, but before she could take a full round and prove Madame Tào's guess right, she felt a strong pair of hands tugging at her twig-like wrists.

Her head bumped into his chest; a yelp escaped through her teeth. Her fingers curled loosely along the lapels of his trench coat. She violently untied the belt of it and buried her head deeper into his chest. Fear of Madame Tào's inspection got her on her toes. "Please save me . . . please save me . . ."

Joseph stroked her back in pure hesitation but pretended to be enjoying it as if she was his girlfriend, pulling wool over Madame Tào's eyes. His other hand snaked around her waist in a way that asked her permission. Joseph was well known for being emotionless and he carried it out in bulk against women. But, this was not true, as he had his nose deeply dug into her rough hair that smelled like rabbit's urine. For once he didn't mind becoming a buffer between them, except for the fact that he had to hold his breath.

The exceptionally bright color of her hair could be a giveaway sign, so his one hand quickly traveled to draw her hair to one side and completely hide it by placing his large hand on her skull.

Ruby covered her face between the folded flaps of his coat instinctively. Exhaling more breath than usual, feeling it caress her face after striking against his naked neckline. Ruby chanted the same line over and over again, "Please, save me from her. Or she'll kill me . . ."

Every moment weighed heavily on her, pulse was a race car or something uncontrollable. Joseph felt a sweet sensation as her rapid breathing and extremely wet lips began to bungle the situation, but he somehow managed to maintain the same poise.

"Don't worry," he whispered and she tiptoed as she brought her terrified body even closer to his. "You are out of danger." Joseph's voice was soothing as the breath of spring, aiming to produce repose and relief for those struck by austere times which in this case was Ruby here.

"No-No, I don't believe you." She gripped his coat tighter. Putting the durability of the coat to the test, she pushed him against the car.

He sniffed her hair and rolled his eyes, bending down to ask, "Why are you so much scared of her? Perhaps, did you steal her money or something?"

She narrowed her eyes at him. "She's as terrible as Cinderella's stepmother ─ also loves to act like a spy," Ruby mumbled in a closed tone and protested as she felt his hands were about to detach from her waist. "Hey! Get your hands back on my waist. I know she must be watching me from any corner. At this point, she must have understood that it was me. Oh. Gosh, I'll soon be a dead duck."

"Who do you think can break you free from my arms?" Ruby stepped back as she never imagined him to come out so flirty. Her eyes stayed on the ground for a second. On the other hand, Joseph was embarrassed so he quickly added, "I did not mean . . . I mean I've learned karate since I was five. I can protect anybody in danger." He snapped shut his mouth and internally thought that it was unnecessary and that he went too far with his machoism.