0.28 | Cigarettes And Blue Eyed Dude

"The ridiculously good enough pot roast I'd eaten in years." Anshuman pointed a fork at Joseph, flashing his white canine against his brown lip. Sarah smiled and circled the table happily to place a piping-hot piece of the same in the second serving.

"There is magic in my darlin's hands. The dishes are rustic and way better than those Michelin star ones, where ten amateur chefs rack their brains over one cherry that seem a little outta place on that baby panna cotta." He paused. "All the same, she knows exactly how to keep her man happy," he patted his little tummy, while Sarah flew a kiss at the happy man.

Joseph who had been staring at the label of the ketchup bottle for the last ten minutes shivered to the sound of the kiss. He blamed himself for putting him in such a weird position. The last night's so-called liaison. God! A girl touched his lips while he was consciously aware. More importantly, she knew how to kiss.

He couldn't organize his thoughts, helplessly falling deeper into a crisis of conscience all alone.

It was the smell of scorched tomatoes left in the air as the sole reason to break up with his critical thoughts. He sniffed and looked up slightly alarmed.

"Sarah seems like your flavoring the tomatoes is gone too far," Anshuman crooned, standing up to have a glance at the experimental disaster in the kitchen.

"I-I just forgot to turn off the flame." Sarah's eyes widened with fear as she sprinted from the other corner of the room; she giggled at the same time to take her negligence under the veil of a trifling mistake.

"Sarah make sure to provide Mom with the breakfast as she gets outta the bed. Just a reminder, don't add those scrapped tomatoes in her omelet she will not eat it otherwise. I guess I'm running late, see you at seven." Wondrously, Joseph had no idea as to why was he using formal language, rubbing his hands to pepper the negligible shower of bread crumbs off his fingertips.

"Sure." Sarah nodded skeptically and watched a baffled Joseph walking out---leaving his phone on the table.

"His phone!" Anshuman whispered-shouted, covering his mouth and gawking at her.

Joseph paced back at the same speed, picked it up, and showed it to them-- giving a tight-lipped smile out of embarrassment. "This," he uttered.

He was gone, leaving back the bread toasts just the way she had kept it.

"You see Sarah, I wager he is missing Ruby like hell. Nobody in their right mind would forget their phone at least," Anshuman said, chewing one bite after the other of the masticable omelet. "Men shouldn't be separated from their lovers; it simply makes me look like one-horned buffalo."

"He should quickly declare his love to her before a nemesis jumps in." Sarah nonchalantly stuffed her mouth with an olive sprinkled-on-top bruschetta, and suddenly something hit her in the brain "But baby, when are you popping the question, huh? We have been dating for about three years. And I certainly know why my mother always starts and ends every conversation with: when are you getting hitched? Bring the man to our home over dinner, let's introduce him to your father, etc," she imitated in her croaky voice.

"What's there in marriage?"

Her ears were quick to catch this quiet and irksome mumble coming from the mouth that ate the rich omelet cooked by her. "Wait, don't tell me now I've gotta do one more thing that is to teach you a lesson on how important it is to build a family."

Anshuman wanted to escape from this somewhat cruddy situation and much to his surprise a phone call saved him as he thought. He motioned Sarah to push off the talk for some time.

"This is the second time I'm getting a call from this number?" Anshuman whispered and bit his lower lip.

"Go on. Pick it up. No doubt, it's your way of life to play with danger." She shrugged her shoulders and folded her legs across the table.