0.41 | Everyone Is Watching Her, But She's looking At You

Joseph trudged inside the hall, ignoring the pounding pain in his head. The hall was brimming with life. He noticed the scarcity of her family members as the debutante ball was limited to a restricted band of society. With only high-class business families and the new adults whose eyes scavenged anything but Elizabeth.

Private party.

Mrs Warner never found it as important to invite her relatives because of their finicky nature type. She believed they wait for such grand moments to arrive only to come, find faults in everything, and go. Mrs Warner was already a patient with high blood pressure, so inviting them would only add to her problem.

Joseph beckoned Mark. The nineteen-year-old had a classic black-tie look. He kept it tasteful, clean, and attractive. A crisp salute to Mark for not slipping into his gray hoodie and keeping the custom in mind. Even Mrs Warner couldn't stop glimpsing admiringly at him today.

"Hey, Looking so good," Joseph complimented and whirled on to fetch some drink.

"I know," Mark mumbled in an acetous tone, peeking through his tidy permed hair. "Just wondering why am I here?"

Joseph chuckled and suddenly asked, "Did you see Elizabeth?"

"Elizabeth. Shouldn't she be here by now?" Mark questioned imperiously, looking at his wristwatch. He mentally thought more about this topic. "I hope she gets here soon before everyone starts to leave."

****

Ruby risked a glance at the object Tasher was holding. It was a fuming injection. Perhaps, what was the use of an injection at this time?

A sudden dread of coldness took over Ruby's words. "Excuse me for now," she said in a soft and shaky voice.

Tasher ran off, seizing her by the wrist. He was inflicting terrible pain on her fragile wrists. Carefully, he pulled her toward him as he held the injection in one hand. Her back collided with his chest. And in a heartbeat, he snaked his arm around her abdomen, locking the movements of her arms.

"Leave me, Tasher!" She squirmed, even hitting her head on his. The loud bangs had only hurt Ruby more.

"This is for dissing me from day one. The insults to my self-esteem, identity, and ego have crossed the line of their patience. Now I'm gonna make you feel the pain of it."

No doubt, Ruby, had always imagined him as a blue-eyed dude with a perverted mind and playful ideas. But, the present Tasher was something else. He was injurious to his health because things didn't pan out for him.

"Anyone there! Help me please!" Ruby shouted out loud and instantly felt a chemical slowly mixing in her sacred bloodstream as he injected it.

"Now, this is going to make you forget what shamelessness is. You'll be forced to tear this dress into shreds," he whispered darkly, cupping her face from behind. "Without wanting anyone to do it for you."

Ruby lay her head back on his shoulder, rubbing her temples lightly. She went into oblivion.

Later on, Tasher went looking out for his father in the crowd and approached Mrs Warner. "Good evening, Mrs. Warner! I couldn't see Dad anywhere. Have you seen him?"

"I haven't seen him and Elizabeth either," she admitted and touched the expanse above his knuckles.

"Yeah. Don't worry she's . . . she's coming." Tasher complied with a sly smile, and Mrs Warner went in a different direction.

"Hey, what's up bad boy?"

Tasher turned around and saw a short wavy bob haircut of modern midnight black framing the pigmented oval face. Her odd canine flashed and she shut her mouth right after gaining attention.