0.16 | A Lonely Little Petunia In An Onion Patch

Joseph swung open the door and was welcomed by an unexpected, fiery, and boisterous run-on utterance from Ruby.

"I'mfinethankyouandyoucangonow."

He began to stare into space. Swallowing hard, as his feet found it difficult to travel up to her bed ─  face her who stood against the wall across the wardrobe, with her back facing him. "Imagine them as your elder siblings. They don't want their words of wisdom to fall on deaf ears."

He exhaled from his mouth, pursing his lips after some time as he placed the plate and a glass of milk on the side table with a deliberate or an extra bang being produced against the hardwood. Just for her mind to register that she had to finish her food.

"It's not a nice thing to let your anger out on food and leave the table like that," he said lowly, putting his hands in his pant pockets. He moved ahead sighing and started organizing the books kept on the headboard. "Nothing was incorrect though. You have to learn many things and remember, the darkest hour is just before dawn."

"I didn't say anything. You seem to be stuck in a time warp." Ruby blinked frequently and soaked her tears back as she turned around and acquired the same position with newfound confidence. "And I'm not starving. So please be kind enough to take it back."

He came to understand that tough love was one thing but the immersion of hard lessons in training could provoke her to change her mindset.

"Hey, let's be honest. How old are you?" This way he found himself to be sitting near her. His eyes narrowed to show he was here with an objective. Her eyes looked experienced, even the briefest movement of her nose flaring couldn't be missed by his receptive pair.

"Now, what is this?" A fold formed on her forehead, her voice attaining a breathy texture.

"Fine. Tell me what is the sum of, um, twelve and thirteen?" His eyes fell back into hers. He was too keen to keep the conversation light, that a small giggle left his tongue. "C'mon, it shouldn't take that much time."

Ruby's back curved like a bow and she snorted. "Why should I tell you?"

"Your answer should come in three . . . two . . ."

She prompted, getting halfway upward, and raising a hand, "Twenty-five!"

He struck a high-five unexpectedly.

She watched him, dumbfounded.

"Okay, another question, if one cloth takes one hour to get dried under the sun. How many hours will ten pieces take in the same condition?"

"Um, that's simple. It's ten hours." She pouted, placing two fingers below her chin. "No?" She closed her eyes and confirmed with her conscience. "But if one shirt takes one hour then ten shirts will take ten hours."

"Ten hours." He nodded horridly and pushed himself forward while extending a hand. "Ruby, just pass me that pillow."

"Oh, why? Am I wrong?" She leaned backward, keeping the pillow away and grinning sheepishly. "Okay, one hour -- one hour."

Instead, he acted delivering a tight backhand slap on her face. "Then why do you act up like those brassy school kids? The learning process is something that goes on all the time. Don't feel bad about it." His back slackened, and the fingers of his right hand pressed in a snap.

Ruby's smile faltered once she saw him gaining a serious face.

"I'm not a school kid. I'm twenty years old. Just as old as that girl if she were alive," said Ruby, with contempt-tainted words. "We could have been twin sisters. What do you think, I mean, who knows I may have been better than her?"