Finding Your Way Back to God

Joel 2:13 — "And rend your heart and not your garments. Now return to the Lord your God, for He is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger, abounding in loving kindness and relenting of evil."

Isaiah 30:21 — "Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it.""

       It can be undoubtedly difficult to persistently pursue God; and, thereby grow in your faith In the process. And, no one understands this quite like our Savior does. John 3:17 — "For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved."

       God does not want you to be riddled with guilt. He forgives and empathizes with you. He meets you exactly where you're at. 

      You may be having a difficult time pursuing Him; but, that doesn't change the fact that He is constantly pursuing you. 

       I believe Cory Asbury does a phenomenal job at summing up essentially what I can't, which is just how unconditional and infinite our Father's love truly is. "Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God. Oh, it chases me down, fights 'til I'm found, leaves the ninety-nine. I couldn't earn it, and I don't deserve it, still, You give Yourself away."

Deuteronomy 4:30 — "When you are in distress and all these things have come upon you in the latter days you will return to the Lord your God and listen to His voice."

Psalm 34:18 — "The Lord is near to the brokenhearted. And saves those who are crushed in spirit."

It's important to remember that Jesus has a special place in his heart for anyone who's different or vulnerable. Whether that may be due to the illness, disability, or trauma you've been forced to endure, or the grief, guilt, and fear you carry—He hears and loves you.

You are loved and valued, no matter what your past, present, or future says. 

Proverbs 16:9 — "In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps."

       I don't know about you, but I am constantly comparing myself to other believers. Christianity is oftentimes advertised as an automatic guarantee at the perfect life, which unfortunately couldn't be any further from the truth. In fact, doesn't It seem like it's the believers who tend to suffer most? 

       If you ever find yourself feeling inferior to others, or unworthy of God's love in any way, please, just remind yourself of this: 

       God loves us all equally; in his eyes, you will always be His beautifully imperfectly perfect masterpiece; and, there will always be a place for you in his house and family. 

       The Devil's going to try and convince you otherwise, but you must ignore it. He's just threatened by how beautiful, strong, kind, loyal, brave, and resilient you are.

       I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Those who appear to have nothing but persistent faith and trust in God haven't truly experienced his love, nor the hardships of life for that matter. Anyone can have faith when all they've ever known is security and ease. But, not everyone can believe and trust in God after witnessing and experiencing the loss of a loved one, the fortitude that comes with having a disability or illness, etc. That is the epitome of true faith right there, my friend! 

       Faith is something that's bound to change and grow. It's inevitable, especially when life tends to be so unpredictable and challenging.       

Psalm 25: 4-5 — "Show me your ways, Lord, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."

       I can only imagine that you're asking yourself the same question that I've been asking myself for the last four years or so. And, that is: how do I find my way back to God? 

       If only there was some simple answer I could give us both. :} 

       I can however suggest a few things that I've found to be helpful, in addition to pray with you after. I'm so sorry I can't give you more, but I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that He can. He's got you, and He's never letting you go.

Psalm 139: 23-24 — "Search me oh God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. Point out anything that offends you and lead me on the path to everlasting life."

       The most beneficial, and probably the most obvious, tip I have for you is to pray. Think of God as your father, mother, sibling, counselor, BFF, and everything in between. He yearns and enjoys hearing from you. He's essentially heard everything, so don't hold back. He wants to know if you're angry, scared, or upset. The first step to trusting Him is to invite Him into your mind and heart. 

       The second suggestion I have for you is to listen to hymns or any other kind of Worship music. I've personally found that after listening to this for just a few minutes, I begin to feel a heck of a lot closer to God. There's nothing more comforting than being reminded of how much you're loved and forgiven.

       Unfortunately, this is my final recommendation, but, please, by all means feel free to suggest more in the comment section below. Thank you! My third and final suggestion is to either read from the Bible itself, or look up Bible verses online pertaining to what's currently laying on your heart. 

~

Lord, 

I pray that I, in addition to every other child of Yours, comes to know You more. I pray that we are overwhelmed by Your continual guidance and loving presence. Please, make Yourself known to those who're in need of it most, Lord. 

Father, I pray that You evaporate every doubt, fear, or ounce of guilt that lives within us. We're like sheep who wander and stray; yet, we can always find comfort in knowing that You are our shepherd. And, we're beyond blessed and grateful for your never-ending love and forgiveness. Thank You! And, we love You. 

We pray this in Jesus' name,

Amen.

❤️ Alyssa