When yesterday calls.

W h e n  y e s t e r d a y   c a l l s

Scriptural reference:  Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,  I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:13‭-‬14 KJV

What do we do when our past calls us, when yesterday calls, what do we do?

A lot of us struggle with our memories and it's always a haunting period in our lives when we do, we sit silently in a corner and then hurtfully the images of yesterday's  comes flashing in.

I'm not talking about those treasured memories, the memories of you visiting the beach with your friends or the ones about you gisting wholeheartedly over a cup of coffee in a coffee shop or binge watching a series on Netflix with your family, those are memories but that's not the kind of memories I'm referring to,
I'm talking about those spiteful, gruesome and ugly memories that leaves us in self pity, self hate, tears or even worse, that pit called depression. Gasps!

These could be things we did in the past, those things we regret doing and wouldn't hesitate to change in a split second if ever given the chance to get back in time, these are words that we might have spoken to someone in anger and now we just regret we never said words like that.

I'm also talking about hurtful experiences we've suffered from in the past or heart shattering words that have been spoken to us by someone we really trusted with our lives, it could also be an ex-friend who has turned his/her back on us, that guy that broke your heart or that parents that abused us emotionally or physically and eventually left.

We wallow in the pasts, our joy is stolen and our wounds fail to heal, it's sad, depressing and super hurtful to remember those things but then what do we do when yesterday calls?

Move on!

I know you've probably heard that a gazillion times, but that's what needs to be done,
Until you forgive yourself, until you forgive those who hurt you real bad and leave those memories behind then you're just a prisoner, a prisoner of your past and just like a prisoner can't move past the prison yard, you'd be stuck.
In order words, dwelling on your pasts is like a boomerang that winds you back when you should have been venturing further.

Apostle Paul in the aforementioned chapter of the Bible clearly expressed the need to move on, just like so many of us, his past wasn't something he was proud of but there was nothing he could do about it and so he moved forward because he knew he would be at loss grieving over it.

Leaving our past behind  and moving on isn't something we do by ourselves, that's why most people fail to do so,  it's something that only the power of Christ can actually do.

Simple!

Only Jesus can heal us, it's only Him that can take our pain away. Apostle Paul recognized and embraced that and that was when he was able to heal.

Prayer:
Dearest Jesus, I believe in you, I believe your word is true and only you have the power to reconcile my pasts, I know you love me earnestly and so you're not interested in my past but I do know you're interested in giving me the healing that I need, so heal me Lord.

I believe my past experience was buried the day I died in my flesh and when I rose in the newness of life my past was redeemed, I know you know it hurts so much, I know you see my shattered heart, I know you see this hatred that clouds me whenever I see those who've hurt me, you're not oblivious of this myopic view I have of myself.

Right now, I just want to take naps and commit everything to your hands, I reject every lies the devil speaks to my ears,
I listen to you alone because only you have the very words of life.

I put my past behind me and press forward in my life, and so when the chains of yesteryears or yesterdays grips me, I want to shake it off.
When yesterday calls, I don't want to answer instead I want to be so preoccupied with hearing what You are doing in my present and what have to say about my future.

So help me God.

Amen.

Xoxo,
Comfort.