Chapter 31 ~ A Surprise For Marco

Marco's POV

I was utterly confused.

My head moved frantically from his hopeful smile and bright eyes to the sight in front of us.

There was a grey 2-storey house, partially unfinished. Yet it looked alive and welcoming with a thin silver trail curling from the crooked chimney.

If you were to pay more attention, an occasional flash of colour - some blues, others green or orange - emerged from its stones that looked like eyes trying to steal a glimpse of the world.

Peach and lemon trees scattered around the front garden, enclosed by an extremely cute red fence.

"Crucifero..." I murmured, noting our names on the small post box, right next to the entrance gate.

It was as if millions of knifes had pierced my heart and as if my lugs had decided to go on vacation: I couldn't breathe anymore.

Had he started building our future home?!

"Oh my god, is this...? I-"

Without letting me speak, he placed his thick finger on my lips.

"It's all my fault...your accident, your rejection..." He stated, averting his gaze to look at the sky.

"I haven't shown you enough what I really feel for you. And I am aware that I am not the easiest person in the world and my way of demonstrate my love may be -" He swallowed hard, clenching his fists.

"It may be cold. But all my life I've been completely alone, and it was fine with me. I thought it was all I ever needed..." He then spared me a shy glance.

"Until I met you."

His tone strained my heart, I just wanted to hug him forever and never let him go. However, I had to hold back since I realized he had more to say to me.

"And I've killed so many times for the sake of my pack. I have seen so much, too much, that I never thought I would be able to love. But then I found you, my mate." He stroked my cheek as his eyes caught mine again.

"And I instantly fell in love."

The sadness in his face pulled my heart, while all his words generated an indescribable happiness, matchless.

I had never heard my gorgeous mate put so many words together at once. Normally he was a somewhat taciturn person.

"Look Cruci, my rejection was unforgivable and don't-" I began but he cut in again, with a weak smile.

"No. Let me finish. The Goddess knows how long I have been meaning to tell you how I feel." He took a deep breath as I could see his hands slightly shaking.

"I know you would be able to handle a whole pack of werewolves all by yourself, regardless of what life throws at you. Hell, you could even manage those Black Devil's hulks without my help!"

His laugh was strained as he tried to regain control of his emotions...

Suddenly Crucifero knelt down, and I almost fainted...was he going to propose?!

"I'm begging you to accept me as your mate, to at least give us a chance. Please."

Ugh no proposal, uff... Wait, of course I wanted him as my mate! Crucifero was the best thing that had ever happened to me ... it was my other half, the missing piece to achieve pure happiness.

I had been a fool to try to push him away, only because of my stupid hand that had instilled insecurities of all sorts.

What an idiot!

"I'm the only one who should kneel and beg for forgiveness." I whispered as I felt my lower lip quiver.

How could I make this extraordinary creature suffer so much?!

"I-I don't de-"

"Ssssh, it's ok, my love" He pressed kisses all over my face as he spoke.

"Besides, it's not your fault, it took you some time to process everything after waking up from the fucking accident." He stroked my back as my sobs intensified.

"When you almost died." Crucifero continued, his teeth clenched.

"Well, I couldn't function anymore. It was like a piece of myself had been taken away from me." He closed his eyes as he tried to regain control.

I inhaled sharply, anticipating his next words.

"So let me take care of you and treat you the way you deserve." He proposed, indicating the cottage in front of us.

"But what is this house? I'm confused." I whispered as his finger skims my cheek before settling in my hair.

"I started building it the day after I met you" He admitted with a cute blush.

"And I worked so hard while you were in a coma because I believed you were going to wake up very soon, so I had to have it almost ready. For us."

That did it. I felt tears flood my cheeks as I sobbed on his shoulder.

End of Marco's POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It took Marco a moment to re-compose himself before his watery eyes met his mate's.

"Oh, my fucking god! Crucifero!" Marco gaped, with a funny face.

Crucifero set aside, enjoying the view of Marco, his beautiful mate, staring at the house he had built for them.

'But why is he crying again now? Doesn't he like it? Fuck I knew it should have asked Rolando's mate for help...'

"This is perfect!" He squealed, jumping on him.

"So, you do like it?" Crucifero scrunched his eyebrows. "Then why are you crying?" He asked sternly.

'God, I will never fully understand relationships and mates.'

"Because you are so so so amazing, and I can't believe I tried to reje-"

Crucifero brushed his lips against his, effectively silencing him. When the kiss turned frenzied, Marco moaned grabbing his mate's neck. This passionate kiss was worth a thousand words.

He had to eliminate all the distance between their bodies, he had to keep him as close to him as possible.

Crucifero's soft-spoken words together with his magical present had filled Marco with love and happiness.

But most importantly, his mate had forgiven him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And the Marcifero's are back ;)