Chapter 5 ~ Rocky Balboa's Crush

Elena's eyes bounced left and right, right and left, tracking her friend's pacing. If there were a mark on the floor, it'd be from all that back-and-forth.

"I mean El, we were kissing passionately and then, suddenly, he pushed me away without any hesitation and jumped out of the window... without even bothering to open it. Imagine!" Marco complained with a lingering frown

"Did you heard me, El?"

She glanced up at him. "I did-"

"El! We were making out with so much passion, I swear! I never thought it possible. Then he just shoved me away, and whoosh," Elena jerked to the side, dodging some of the spray coming from that whooshing, "he jumped out of the window... and that's not even the end of it!"

"What more could there be." Elena muttered, snatching a tissue to wipe off his spit from her cheek.

"He didn't even bother to open it!"

"Open what?"

Marco looked horrified, putting his hand to his chest in a way that reminded me of an old lady clutching her pearls. "The window, El! He didn't open it!"

"I think that he-" Elena tried to say, but failed.

"After that? Nothing! Zero calls, no carrier pigeons delivering messages-"

"They are Black Devils, not spartans! I'm sure they've caught up to the smartphone era."

"My mate used me and discarded me aside like a condom!" Marco pulled his bronze hair.

"Technically, you can't reuse condoms more than once," she interjected, only to be met with a glare.

"Not helpful," he grunted before rising an eyebrow, "and how would you know about condoms?"

"General knowledge," she defended herself, crossing her arms.

It has been a week since they had started attending the new school, a week since Marco had met his 'special' mate and, lastly, a week since this lovely mate almost killed Elena on the spot, after Marco hugged her. She wasn't even a male!

Right now, Elena and Marco were alone in the labyrinthine kitchen of the pack house, oddly deserted. She stirred her spoon in her half-full mug, gazing nostalgically at the empty plate with annoying little mushrooms painted on it. Oh, wait, she missed a crumb. Her finger darted to trap the lone survivor on the tip before she popped it into her mouth. "Mmm, bliss," she sighed. She'd already smashed her allowed daily portion of apple crumble.

Giulia was strangely taking a nap, likely due to her brother's moodiness, and Rex was busy helping with the influx of refugees from Lord Skull, mostly widows with their pups.

Leaving Elena stuck with needy Prince Marco! With no more apple crumble.

He used to just list his conquests, sometimes providing too many details for Elena's sake. But he had never grumbled about one of these dates, only judged what they lack in a critical/ funny way. Elena was sure that his new relationship with his mate was an entirely different story, raising a whole bunch of insecurities, linked to real emotions.

"Oh El! And he never talks to me, like there's zero communication. I ask him questions or try to start any type of conversation, and nothing!"

Elena tilted her head. "No way! Have you tried talking about, um, hunting? Or his pack?"

"Of course..." he let himself fall loudly onto a chair that creaked in protest.

"So you don't know what his voice sounds like?"

"Oh, no, I know the sound of his voice, dominant but not in an arrogant way, deep but not old..." a dreamy look fell over his prince-like features, "It's perfect."