Chapter 17 ~ Living Nightmare

In the meantime.. somewhere in the territory of Black Devil...

...few days after Mirko beat up Riccardo...

Someone's POV

I was running with Giulia, keeping her hand tightly. Laughs and giggles escaped our little mouths while we were playing around the big garden outside our pack house.

Without doubt, that was a dream slash memory since we looked much younger. Suddenly, she stopped and grabbed my face in her little hands. "I will love you forever and ever and ever!" She declared, deadly serious.

"Me too?" I responded, unsure.

I had the eerily feeling I was being watched from far away. "Don't forget it... when you are dead." She was creeping me out. "What do you mean?" I asked her, noticing she was heading towards the dark woods. "I have to go now. My mate is waiting for me."

What?! A Mate?!

And then, I saw it. A huge wolf standing proud on the edge of the trees. He growled at me and was about to pounce at any time. When Giulia patted him, he lowered his ears and stared at her with a yelp.

What was happening?! Ok enough. I want to wake up from this nightmare. Come on, wake up wake up wake up!!

Without warnings, the huge wolf bit her neck deeply. "Nooo!!" I screamed, panicking at Giulia's shaking figure. The wolf glared at me one more time and then ran away, dragging Giulia by her neck.

When, finally, my surroundings started to fade away, I knew I was about to wake up. What a disturbing nightmare.

Before leaving the dreams' world, an unsettling feeling invaded me...wait!

I knew that wolf! The one that kidnapped Giulia. Her mate...

I woke up to the unique scent of my mate, my nightmare forgotten. The magical infusion of cut wood and fresh musk had been my favourite aroma, since I was a child. I should have predicted my mate would have smelled like that. Pure heaven, I'd say...

Wait. What was he doing here with me?

Not recalling that he slept at my place last night, I slowly opened my eyes.

And why were the lights so bright? I furrowed my eyebrows, confused.

My bedroom had powerful, expensive shutters thanks to my relentless plea to Alpha Giacomo, though it was more for my sacred privacy than cutting off sunlight. Never underestimate the importance of great blinders when your sex life made up for your daily work out.

Regardless, I always woke up in total darkness and I got used to the pleasure of it. So, today it took me a while to adjust to the annoying and bizarre illumination.

As the light wasn't enough to bother me, my body felt weirdly different. Somehow it was detached from my control and I couldn't move a single finger. My throat was dry, and a sense of dizziness embraced me from the inside, slowly enveloping me.

Was this some sort of prank? I winced and tried to sit up with all my willpower. All in vain.

Damned, I swore if my friends tied me up again, this time I would poison their food.

I forgot all about it when a messy bush and two huge tattooed arms welcomed me into reality, from my giddy state. With his arms crossed under his head, my breath-taking mate was snoring faintly next to me. His body sat in a chair, but head and arms were resting on the right side of the bed. Why wasn't he lying down with me?

Though he was sleeping, his lips were pursed, and eyebrows scrunched up as if he was in the middle of a fight against his dark dreams. I had to ease that look of concern from his beautiful face. I just had to, but I couldn't move an inch. Why?!

My eyes flickered around this alien room as I tried to figure where I was. Surely not in my bedroom. Or neither in my mate's place since he had never invited me over anyway. Rex had always teased me with that, declaring that my mate kept his dead ex-lovers hidden in his wardrobe and didn't want me to find them out. And Giulia always argued against Rex's theory. She believed my mate kept MY ex-lovers in his wardrobe. All dead. Well I can guarantee that was physically impossible: they could have never fitted in a wardrobe, or in a full house, for what matters.

I wasn't ashamed of my past as I had my needs and I was mate-less...

Without warning, horrible memories started to flash into my brain, like evil whips torturing my excruciated soul. The sudden attack back at school, Alpha Ciro and his man in a killing rampage, all those young, dead faces staring at me accusingly and shouting 'You didn't save us!'

And Giulia.

My little sister was bleeding under my eyes. The useless eyes of a brother who failed to protect the most precious thing he had.

And Elena and Rex.

My best friends in the whole world were fighting like majestic creatures, taking down wolf after wolf. Evil after evil. But they were just too many for us.

The flashback of several wolves surrounding an exhausted Elena was a punch in my belly.

I felt so nauseous and shut my eyes in agony.

And then the arrival of my ferocious mate that came to rescue me, a weak Beta incapable of defending himself.

A sharp panic invaded my poor limbs when I noticed the stump covered in plaster.

Oh no. No, no, no, nooo!

I was broken.

Useless.

Werewolves couldn't regrow large parts of their bodies. That meant I wasn't a real wolf anymore. I couldn't go to do patrolling with my dad anymore. I couldn't fight against enemies or rogues. I couldn't protect my pack, my people and my family.

But worse of all, I couldn't keep up with my ferocious mate.

Mate.

My eyes moved back to him. So outrageously handsome that for a moment it distracted my piteous ramblings.

He was going to reject me.

Tears filled my eyes and the only thing I could do was to sniff, like a baby.

"I love you so much" I whispered towards my real and only light in this new, dark reality I had been catapulted. A light that was going to be ashamed of his handicapped mate.

This wasn't a prank... but a living nightmare.

.

.

.

And Marco finally woke up...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AN/ A penny for your thoughts? :)