29 | rishte

Tehreer Kar Mujhe Do Lafzon Mein,
Aik Dard Mein Dusra Zabt Mein

"... and you should have seen the look on their faces when they said Wajdan Enterprise. I wish I could capture those expressions."  Laila sat against the bed-crown with the fluffy cushion in her lap in Inaaya's room. Inaaya sprawled on the other side of the colossal bed with crinkled eyes and a wide smile as Laila kept on going about the project as she had been for the past hour. Her words chimed one against the other as she recounted her achievement. "Ali Sir gave it to me and he said I did it. Niya, he said I did. I thought I was hearing things."

For the first time in her life, Inaaya saw happiness flickering like stars in Laila's eyes. Laila had always been wary of herself but today there was nothing but the pride she earned for herself. Inaaya could do nothing but nod and smile along. Deep down she murmured sweet words of prayers for her best friend and for the scintillating happiness to stay alight.

"I thought my heart would stop the way it was beating. I have never ever felt like this. As if people saw me for who I was. Like I mattered, you know. Like I was more than a name. I didn't even know I had it in me to do something like that. He said it was the biggest project ever. He gave me credit for what I did." Laila went a mile a minute, barely breathing between the words with her hands flying all around as she narrated her story.

"I'm so proud of you, Lily. Your brainy ass finally thrived." Inaaya laughed yet her eyes held the admiration ever so brightly. Laila rolled her eyes, throwing the cushion at her face, but that broad grin stayed intact on Laila's face. Inaaya caught the cushion, sitting up. "It looks like you had blast doing that boring shit." Inaaya pretended to puke messing with her friend. "but it looks like you'd enjoy doing it all every day. Why don't you continue further?" 

"huh?" Laila tilted her head a little, focusing her attention on Inaaya's words, she calmed her exhilaration a bit. 

"Why don't you apply for an MBA program? You can do so much more than just sit behind a desk and answer calls. This was just a coincidental project, something more of a personal favor rather than a professional task. Use that crazy brain of yours to do more of what you like rather than letting it rust by just filling schedules and taking notes." Inaaya had never pushed Laila to go past her bachelors because Inaaya knew of the priorities Laila had set for herself, a job and a house. Laila had fulfilled both of them now Inaaya saw it as a crime to let her best friend sit there without a chance of growth. Laila was born to thrive and Inaaya was going to remind her of that passion she held.

"I never thought about it." Laila bent her knees pulling them to her chest as she put her chin on her knees. 

"Think about it. Pave your way so you can do more projects like the one you did. As an assistant, there is no opportunity to grow. Remember you used to say that you'll own an NGO and help the orphanage."  Oh, the unrealistic dreams born out of unrequited wishes. 

"Those were crazy unrealistic dreams." Laila scoffed, almost laughing at the absurdity of it.

"Well," Inaaya exhaled her breath heavily. "They were unrealistic then because we had no resources and no means to do it. But now both of us are in a position to do something about those crazy unrealistic dreams. You can do more I know you can, but now you are scared to leave that box." Inaaya's words rattled her comfort.

"But I like working there." Laila furrowed her eyebrows. Her words came out much more defensive than she intended to.

"Do you like working there or do you like working for someone there?" Inaaya finally touched the topic Laila often stopped her thoughts from mulling over.