54 | home

❝Aap Baithe Hain Balin Peh MeriMaut Ka Zoor Chalta Nahi HaiMaut Mujh Ko Gawara Hai LakinKya Karoon Dum Nikalta Nahi Hai❞

Aap Baithe Hain Balin Peh Meri
Maut Ka Zoor Chalta Nahi Hai
Maut Mujh Ko Gawara Hai Lakin
Kya Karoon Dum Nikalta Nahi Hai

Laila pushed her fingers through the length of her hair as her uber navigated through the traffic of Islamabad. The thunderstorm only made it worse as the clouds hovered far too close to the city. The world around her was drowning in the evening like darkness at 4 pm. She grimaced at the lightning across the sky.

"Why did it rain today?" She huffed into her phone. Her best friend was humming to her daughter on the other side. "It's so muggy and stuffy."

"Zeeniya is loving it. It's supposed to be her nap time, but I can't stop watching her as she is staring at the window in awe watching the rain. She looks too beautiful to put her to sleep." Inaaya replied in a quiet tone.

"You sure she is related to us. You didn't just pick a random baby from that room right?"

"What's bothering you today?"

"I don't know, I just feel suffocated. Something is just bothering me.  Extreme nausea, like I need air. It's the weather and I'm wearing new shoes." She complained looking out the window that was blurred by the onslaught of the rain.

"Did you fight with your husband again?" Inaaya groaned when Laila didn't reply. "I'm so tired of you too. Just fucking kiss and makeup. You both are fish without water when not together."

Laila's face turned red. Hopefully, her phone's volume was low and the driver didn't hear it.

"I don't want to talk about it."

"Where are you going?"

"Someone said I could ask them for a favor. So I'm going to ask them for a favor for the orphanage." Laila's eyes filled with a silver lining of hope. Martin was bound to retaliate again, she didn't know when or where. She couldn't risk the orphanage. It was the weakest link around her. She couldn't let the orphanage become collateral damage in all this. "I'll call you later. I'm here." Inaaya said her greetings as well and Laila took a long breath, paying her fare for the ride.

She had woken up with a nauseous feeling, butterflies gnawing at her gut. She regarded it to the argument she had yesterday. The gloomy weather didn't help as the day turned darker and darker. The shadow of loom stalked her throughout the day.

It was still coiled around her gut as she stepped out of the car and walked briskly to the entrance. She grimaced when water slipped through her ballet flats. She had been far too occupied with the feeling of dread to realize what she chose to wear. At least she had remembered to take the jacket.

"Miss Laila." The man on the other end of the vast office smiled at her. There was nothing warm about that smile. It was cold, aloof, and mysterious like always. Just like the grey of his eyes reflected the clouds that held the city hostage in the cold. Sikander Behram Shah, as always, watched her with hawk-like eyes. There was something sinister about this man that he kept hidden under the well-groomed perfection of his, not even a hair was out of place on his head and the light brown color of his hair and beard along with his facial features reflected his heritage. That belonged to somewhere in the North. "Welcome." Laila nodded, taking the seat across from him. "Something warm to drink?" She nodded again.