12| penguin

Dard Ho Dil Mein Toh Dawa Kijiye,
Dil Hee Jab Dard Ho Toh Kya Kijiye

"Laila"

Someone was rubbing her cold hands unlike the numerous times she was pushed against the wall and pulled her hair. Unlike the time she ate her lunch in the toilet room because she was scared they'd bully her during lunch.

"Laila, open your eyes, Please."

"I can't see anything in this... this... darkness and the... and the... space... it's too small." She rubbed her palms against her closed eyes. She was terrified of confined spaces in utter darkness.

"Ankhein kholo, please. I have enough light here."

She rubbed the middle of her chest trying to breathe. Her other hand was still being rubbed between two warm hands. Her heart was slamming back and forth against the case of her bones. I can't die right now. She shook her head, forcing her eyes to blink. There was light. Enough light for her to look in front of her.  The iPad was on so was the flashlight of her phone and another phone.

Ali Sir was sitting on his knees, rubbing her ice-cold hand. She stared into those eyes that resembled the brandy he got intoxicated on. He put his palm against hers, holding her hand. His head was tilted and his brown eyes were alarmed.

"It's okay. You're not alone. Do you understand that?" He enunciated each and every word carefully. She nodded her head. "Can you breathe properly?" She nodded her head again. Her throat was too raw to form any words. "We'll get out of here soon, okay?" He tucked the hair falling on her forehead behind her ear with the softest of touch. He swiped away clammy drops of sweat from her forehead with the ends of Laila's duppatta.  

"We're going to play a game here, theek hai?"

"Haan." Her words were low and raw, merely passing through her dry lips.

"Close your eyes. No cheating." He warned her playfully. She closed her eyes, trying to even her breath. The only thing she could hear was his light breath. She felt the touch of his finger on her forearm. "I'm going to write a word and you have it guess it." She nodded yet again, as she leaned back against the cool elevator wall. She concentrated fully the way he traced his finger gently on her forearm.  P. She furrowed her eyebrows. E. Then N. 

"Pen?" She stated with a bit of doubt.

"Let me finish." He scolded her, starting over. She wrinkled her nose in annoyance but concentrated back on the words he was tracing on her forearm. This time she let him finish and as he traced the last N, finishing the seven-letter word, She laughed softly, opening her eyes.

"Penguin." A velvety laugh erupted within her, spreading over the anxiety like a blast of rain painting over the sweltering heat of summer. He wiggled his eyebrows at her. "Penguins." Her voice was small like the smile on her face. She is not going to die. She rubbed her collarbone, calming herself, but her calm was shortlived as the elevator rattled.

"Laila!" He tugged on her hand, making her look at him. "They are trying to open it. We'll be okay. I had Zain call in an emergency."

"I don't want to die. I need to leave get out of here. Clean this mess, please." She shut her eyes tightly, begging him. She clutched on his hand, her nail-biting in his skin. The fear possessed her heart again. She could feel it agonizing for another full breath.

"Hey, Hey. " He eased her grip on his hand. Uncurling her finger one at a time. "Yeh dekho." She put something light in her hand. "Itni larai ki aur ab dekh bhi nahi rahi." She gazed barely at her hand, inspecting it in the faint light. Her earrings. Her eyes snapped at him.