13| dosti

Aag Se Khak Ho Gaye Hum
Na Jane Kahan Kho Gaye Hum

❧❧❧

Laila's phone was fluttering like crazy under the pillow. Under the blanket in a warm cocoon, she pulled her knees up to her abdomen, ignoring the phone. She shut her eyes tightly, forcing herself to fall asleep again, but the thoughts wouldn't leave her alone. How did I let him be so close to me? She clenched her teeth with force, surprised that they were still intact. The walls she carefully crafted with years of pain and rejection. How could she let them crack so easily?

"Kutti phone utha le. Khud to so ni rahi meri neend kyun haram kar rahi hai." Inaaya kicked her, snatching the blanket from her.

"Idher kyun daira dal rakha hai. Dafa ho apne ghar." Laila tried to take the blanket, but Inaaya rolled herself like a burrito in the blanket, leaving Laila shuddering in the cold.

"Do din camp mein neend haram thi ab tu bhi meesni ban rahi hai. Ja bahir Malka ko tang kar. Mujhe sone de." Inaaya sprawled on bed, literally kicking Laila out of her own bed.

Laila knew the calls were from one of the brothers. She was too ashamed to answer. How did she let herself be so vulnerable in front of him? How did she lose track of her own emotions? She couldn't go back to work. No. Not until she let the frost grow back around herself, freezing everyone out of her life.

"Oye meri neend ki Loteran. Phone to answer kar."

"Nahi."

"Chalo Madam ka attitude utra nahi. Advance mein warn kardia karo taake tumhare attitude ke waqt ek maid rakhlon jo tumhare kaam kar le." Inaaya picked up her phone, looking at the screen.

Zain Sir

"Hello?"

"Laila?"

"Laila ki Assistant bol rahi hoon. Free wali. Because Laila Baji ke mood ni ho raha. Hum to yahan Maharani ke naukar lage hain." Inaaya rubbed sleep out of her eyes.

"May I speak to Laila please?"

"Inaaya!"

"Jee boliye. Message pohanch jaye ga." Laila tried to take the phone from Inaaya but she jumped off the bed, taking the phone with her.

"I wasn't able to get in contact with her. Is she alright?"

"No she slipped and hurt herself. I was wondering if she can get two days off. I mean you don't want any liability or get sued if gets hurt again. I mean you're already responsible for the elevator incident."

"What? Excuse me."

"You're excused for the elevator incident. So she is off for next two days right?"

"Inaaya! Meesni." Laila chased after her, but the woman was pulling Usain Bolt on her.

"Yes. No worries. If you could uh just let her know to give me a call."

Inaaya's cognac eyes sparkled with joy as she threw Laila's phone back at her. Laila barely caught it with her jaw hitting the floor. Inaaya stood in the middle of the courtyard with her hands on her waist like a superwoman, proud of herself as if she just saved the entire universe. The sheer audacity, Oh my dear Lord of penguins. Laila was going to have a heart attack as she took in her best friend's outfit. Standing there in Laila's Penguin pajamas, that she so carefully kept in her closet, Inaaya was throwing her a smug smile.

Laila sat right smack in the middle of the courtyard, putting her hands on her head. First of all, she stole her Penguin Pajamas and then she created another blunder.