46 | iztiraab

@isaimaa thank you for this 🥺🥺

Zaroorat To Nahin Mohabbat Lafzon Mein Bayan Ho
Kya Meri Ankhein Tumhein Kuch Nahi Kehti

— anon

The deep auburn locks spread on the white bed sheet like ambers on a sheet of snow. Her right arm under her head, the eyes that resembled the onset of fall leaves, brown dipped in honey, stared at the ceiling. Still clad in the outfit of the day, she had yet to return to her room. Her breath held a steady rise and fall. Yet, the thoughts were chaotic in all the silence within her. Inaaya had caught the tear, coming to her rescue in front of everyone till they dispersed. Her bones were heavier than a boulder in the state she was in. His inconsistency took a toll on her.

"Here." Inaaya sat on the other side of the bed, tucking her feet under her. Laila rolled over, propping on her elbow. Inaaya had changed into her set of pajamas when she went to drop Zeeniya with Zain in their room. Amma also returned to her room. Leaving Laila in the dress that scrapped her skin after so many hours. Her body shivered in restlessness, craving for the soft set of cotton suit.

"Leftover Halwa." Inaaya took a spoon full, pushing it towards her. "Get up and lick your wounds with the halwa."

"I'm not licking my wounds. Bakwas na kar." Laila made herself comfortable against the headboard next to her as they shared the big bowl of halwa.

"You are not licking your wounds and I haven't birthed a tiny monster." Inaaya arched her eyebrows, licking the spoon. "Chal phoot ab. Ankhein kis khushi mein soojhi hai? Am I slicing his throat with the scalpel and burying him in my backyard?"

Laila chuckled, the chambers of her heart finally broke through the confines of pain for a few minutes. Inaaya Freaking Aamir. God, she loved this woman with all her heart. Inaaya's eyes flashed red in need of sleep, hair piled in a messiest bun ever, yet she sat here because she knew Laila needed her. Laila hadn't said a word even when pain blazed inside her heart, even when her eyes welled up between her laughter. Inaaya had seen the burning pain of longing in her eyes. The love Laila wanted, but only got in pieces. Inaaya knew Laila needed her and she'd walk barefoot in the snow for Laila.

"What is it, Lily?"

"I'm not sure about this anymore, Niya." Laila pulled her knees to her chest, wrapped her arms around them, putting her chin on her kneecaps.

"And that terrifies you because you always know what you want." Inaaya completed the whispered thought. "What's the crux of all this uncertainty?"

Doubt had been weaving into her hope and resolve for quite a while now, but the event that had unraveled earlier in the night and that morning had broken through Laila's heart. It shook her, rattling the truth inside. She had her hope in the wrong place.