Chapter Fify Nine

"Jungkook?" Y/N pushes open the door, eyes widening as she steps inside.

"Hey." The young hybrid is laying across the bed, bare chest covered in ECG electrodes.

It's startling to see him like this.

She wants to protect him.

She wants to cross the room and draw him close.

Yet she can't.

Not until she understands why she feels this way.

Instead she lingers by the door, drawing her hands behind her back to stop them from wanting to reach out and comfort.

"I wanted to come and see how you're doing, if this isn't a good time then I can always come back later."

"No it's okay, this is perfectly routine practice so don't leave. I actually wanted to talk with you, Jin told me about what happened." Jungkook slowly pushes himself up, careful to avoid displacing the wires and electrodes as he leans back.

Y/N winces at the memory, embarrassment evident in the way she averts her eyes and shrinks back.

"I can't explain it, so please don't even ask me to try. I'm perfectly fine though, I slept for a little while and then Tae made me something to eat."

"So, how is everything with you two? Did you manage to talk?" He cocks his head, eyes curious and tone inquisitive.

"We did, there's still more to say but he was exhausted and so I insisted he rest before we talk again."

"I guess you won't tell me what the two of you discussed?"

Y/N shakes her head, she can't help the breathless little chuckle that escapes when Jungkook grumbles.

"Yeah, had a feeling you would say that."

"So, what shots do they give you and why do you need to be hooked up on all that." Y/N gestures to the electrodes.

"The shots are something I've always had, since my days in the organisation labs. It balances out the human and android parts of my synthesised DNA, keeps me operating at peak levels of performance. It does the job but of course isn't pain free, some days are worse than others. I can experience fleeting intense pain with one dosage of the serum and within hours be back on my feet but then other times like today for example the serum takes longer to settle and can be infinitely more painful. That's the reason for the electrodes, Jin likes to keep an eye on my vitals when it's a more potent dosage just to be on the safe side. I feel fine now, there's no pain but the serum still needs time to settle, it'll be a few more hours until I'm rested enough to feel at my best again."

"Do you remember much about the labs? How they created you? Where the human part of your DNA came from? I mean, you don't have to answer if it's not something you're willing to share yet."

Jungkook shrugs. "I don't remember much to be honest, all I do know is that the organisation created me to be the ultimate field operative. I was given a name, given a purpose and was trained from an early age to comply. It's only when I joined Bangtan that things started to change, when my human side became more inquisitive. I wanted to know more about my development, did I have a biological family out there? How many more like me did they create? Is this all I'm supposed to be? I started to want more, I wanted to be more. I don't even know if that makes sense to you, it probably doesn't but I can't explain it any differently."

"It makes sense." Y/N finds herself taking slow and hesitant steps across the room, the need to be closer and protect Jungkook growing stronger with every passing minute the two are together.