Chapter Forty Five

Jimin made his way to the communication hub after leaving Y/N to freshen up, their last interaction playing on a loop much to his vexation.

The woman wasn't anything special, average in almost every way but still she had his curiosity peaked and something about that irked the young agent.

It was no secret that Jimin liked to play games, test the limits of those around him and maybe that's what appealed to him? The fact that Tae and Guk both desired her yet she refused to get involved, had offered them friendship and nothing more at this point.

Jimin wanted to know what would eventually make the girl break? When would she decide that toeing the line of friendship just wasn't enough? Would she have the metaphorical balls to break the heart of one man and give herself to the other?

Jimin scoffed at the asinine notion of love, the ridiculous delusions of people who believed they could be happy and put their trust in another.

"Love is just an illusion Jiminie, smoke screens and mirrors."

He remembers his mother saying this as she sat at her vanity, eyes dilated and bloodshot.

"There's no happily ever after, simply lust and deception. It's best you know this, learn to play the game."

Her words often came out slurred, fingers reaching for whatever bottle was within reach.

"You can never let them get too close Jiminie because once you do they've got you cornered, don't allow yourself to be vulnerable."

He can still remember the bruises that littered her skin, the silk robe which left little to the imagination as she would crouch before his six year old self.

"Do you hear me?" Her nails bit into his skin as she grabbed his chin.

"Yes mommy."

"Good, don't you forget it." He always hated the stench of alcohol when she got this close, the way the white under her nose was more visible.

"Now go to bed, mommy has to work."

That was the part Jimin hated the most, having to hear his mother entertain her clients in the next room.

That's one of the many reasons he was so incapable of maintaining healthy relationships, the most fucked up one was finding his mother's body after she overdosed a month after his tenth birthday.

That's how he ended up with the organisation, they found him two weeks later roaming the brothel district near Yongsan station as he searched for scraps of food to keep himself alive.

So yeah, it was pretty safe to say Jimin was fucked up in more ways than one. No matter how much time had passed since his mother's death, no matter how hard he threw himself into training for the organisation her words always stuck with him.

He continued to the play the game as she did, refusing to ever make himself vulnerable.

The lights of the hub flickered on as Jimin stepped inside, his inner monologue cut short as he sat behind the terminal.