Chapter 36 - The past, the present and the future

Start from the beginning

Right now, the Valentine prince is under full surveillance while the Mietitores sheltered him.  I felt bad for doing this to a friend, but Julian reminded me that it was for his own good. I call bullshit. There was no good in any ways for Rafael. Even when it comes to his love life, Rafael has to suffer from his identity as a Mafia prince.

The fragrance from the chicken soup clouded the room as the three of us sat down at the dining table, eating steamboat. Angelo has rejected the offer made by Julian, claiming that he has things to do. But we all know it isn;t the best time for him and Rafael to meet.

I was gobbling down meat as Julian shares with us the latest Mafia gossip. The red-headed boy remained his cheerful self around Rafael. He did not have the slightest prejudice against the boy who stole his boss's girlfriend.

"I know Sir Rafael better than Sir Angelo, Eli. He must have his own reasons." Julian explained when we were both on duty last night, watching over the sleeping Rafael.

"Rafael had to do Angelo dirty like this?" I pointed out. I was angry at the fact that the Valentine prince let something like love take over friendship.

Now, I don't know how does it feel like to love someone but what I do know is the importance of true friendship. If someone values and respects their friendship with someone, then I don't think they are capable enough to forgo it for romantic love. This may be nonsense, but I stand by it.

It just doesn't feel right no matter what the reasons are. For people like Angelo and Rafael, it even feels more unbelievable because they were such good friends.

Julian whipped out a pocket watch connected to a chain and turned Rafael's chair to himself. In a deep voice, the red-headed boy whispers as he swings the chain, "Follow the watch closely, Sir Rafael. Stare deep at it and follow with your heart."

The Valentine prince obeyed Julian and followed the swinging pocket watch closely. Slowly closing his eyes, he slumped back against the chair. Excited, Julian snapped his fingers in delight and started sprouting hilarious commands.

"Dance like a ballerina!" Rafael got up and started pirouetting,  balancing himself on the tip of his toes. His form was so good that I questioned if he was a secret professional.

"Make up a rap!" The Valentine prince bobbed his man bun to inaudible beats and started making up lines using fruits as his topic. 

Julian held up one hand, cutting off my laughters. He adjusted his invisible tie and become a game show host. "For the last question, Sir Rafael, do you think Sir Angelo or Elizabeth's boobs are bigger?" A gasp escaped me and I threw up my hands at the question.

"Piccolo, I adore your...man chest but I'll go with Jay's!" Rafael answered brutally, opening his eyes as he high-fived Julian. 

The two boys guffawed at Rafael's honest remark, making me scoff. But then, Julian cracked his voice and his laughters shot up three octaves. His high-pitch laughters triggered my own giggling and the three of us chortled harder than ever.

I soaked up the ordinary scene around me, relishing the time I'm spending with these boys. After all the recent events, I didn't think it was possible to just chill and chit-chat into the night with them. We all came a long way since the last time we had steamboat, my understanding for each of them a little deeper.

Placing my feet on Rafael's hospital bed, I slumped down on the cushioned chair, craving for more sleep. I had twelve hours of sleep but it didn't feel enough, because of all the nightly activities I've been doing. Oh wow, don't that sound kids-friendly?