Chapter 2 - Iced manuka honey macchiato & gut feelings

Bon Appétit! :D

Elizabeth's POV

Carina Rayer's attempts at hiding her wince with every step she took pushed my temper even further. The lack of staff at The Raindrop forced me to stay back in the cafe as I am the only one who knows the menu very well enough to make all the drinks. Poor Carina has to make deliveries on-campus with goddamn crutches.

The Raindrop is a student start-up project initiated by the students on financial aids, sponsors and scholarships as an extra service we provide for the school. Honestly, everyone sees it as a way of the under-privileged students giving back to the school, which has so kindly sponsored our one-of-a-kind education here at The White Mountain Academy.

"Carina get your cute butt back here right now, I will make the deliveries and you will take a fifteen minute break. If there are new orders, just call me, I will guide you." I hissed before putting her arm over my shoulder to support her back to the counter. The school bell rang, signalling the beginning of the next study break, prompting all students to head back to their classrooms for the last day of the week.

Carina Rayers is my closest friend in the school. While she has zero ideas of my extracurricular activities, we stick to each other in school as if someone has superglued us together. She is selfless and witty and eventually, her loyalty made me opened up to her after two years.

Now, she has turned to me with her big puppy eyes and shook her head. She knows I hate doing delivery services after meeting the most ridiculous, obnoxious people when the service started picking up the hype.

I nudged her fractured ankle gently before taking the delivery bag from her.  She yelped but did not persist on doing the service, her pain now vividly expressed on her face. "Stay put missy, you shouldn't have come for your shift today. Wish me luck." I smiled with fake cheerfulness, before heading out.

My smile instantly disappeared the moment I left the cafe, urgent issues finding its way back into my mind and making me all tensed. The bank called me this morning and reminded me that I have until the end of the week to cough up four months worth of the monthly share of debt I owed before they take the house.

How genius of them to make thirty thousand dollars sound like three dollars. I do not even have three dollars on me! This is such a fantastic end to the week.

The large and heavy doors to the fifth music room opened, screeching. The loud chatters and piano music was cut off immediately the moment I laid foot into the room. My body tensing up at the deafening silence.

"One iced manuka honey macchiato for a Miss Linda Chang?" I read out the name of the person who made the order, only to realise that this Linda is one of the queen bees in school.

Linda is no doubt beautiful with her tall, slim frame. Her body, a hourglass figure that girls crazily starved and exercised like a manic to achieve that ideal shape. Really, what are they thinking? Her Gucci heels thudded on the ground with every step she took.

"Thanks, your uniform is so cute and interesting!" She extended out her hand, nails having done the french manicure, waiting for me to pass her the coffee. She is smiling so sweetly that I almost missed her sarcastic remark. Honestly, why can't some privileged kids understand that it is not so hard to have a nice personality in addition to their mostly flawless life? 

Her eyes roamed up and down my outfit which is a long barista apron that has coffee stains in it, on top of some plain black shirts and denim jeans. Of course there are loose strains of my hair that have escaped my bun and I was not wearing any makeup to impress anyone on their way of ordering a cup of coffee.