Chapter 28 - A happy Birthday

Bon Appétit! :D

Elizabeth's POV

The Black Market is a rowdy place that good girls should not be going to. Danger lurked openly in every corner and a moment of carelessness will have you sinking into a quicksand of misery.

Luckily, I am not a good girl.

My rage ran out after I messed up Angelo's office but by then, I was already in hot waters. The kind that would boil me alive and make soup out of me. Rafael was easy to appease but his best friend was another story. Understanding his personality well, Angelo Mietitore would hunt me down personally.

Still yearning to see tomorrow's Sun, I escaped to the place where even the Mietitore and Valentine princes don't have much power in. The Black Market.

Located northwest of the Hollow, it is actually a street in between the territories of the Immondos and Nacostes. Thus, the market serves as a boundary line that divides the two families. Though both families tried to conquer the market, the people on that street have refused and fought them off.

With the Immondos and Nacostes as neighbours, the street was automatically left untouched by any other families. The possibility of overstepping into any of the two families' territories is near a hundred percent and hence Mafia patrons are on their best behaviours. In a place where even the family heads have to be polite, the princes would not dare to act wildly.

It would last me a few hours before I have to face the music. Mentally given myself a pat on the shoulder, I walked through the market, totally relaxed. Tonight, the Black Market is my safe haven.

The Black Market is a mixture of establishments and street stalls. With the right payment, it catered to almost all the needs and wants anyone could ever dreamed of.

It was a literal trip down memory lane as the scary looking shop owners greeted me with a warm welcome. Before I had moved into MJ's, I had lived in the only accommodation available on the street for a solid year. I lived as an errand girl in exchange for a room there and that was how I got to know everyone in the Black Market.

"Errand girl, long time no see!" The old uncle running a small dim sum eatery welcomed me, happy to see a familiar face. "Bring me two plates of my favourites stuffed bun, uncle! And how's your son doing?" I ordered, looking around at the small eatery which looked the same as my memory.

The Black Market is one of the oldest Mafia community in the Hollow. Most of the shops here had been operating long enough to see Mafia families and governors rise and fall. With most of their children continuing the business, they have formed a bonded community here.

The old man sighed as he set down the two plates of stuffed buns. "Ran off with a full-yang." A full-yang is an old slang for a person on the "good side", someone who disapproves of all illegal activities and naturally, the Mafia.

I had seen it coming but still, poor man! "Uncle, no fear, you still got me." I comforted the old man, left all on his own. He gave a toothless smile before serving other incoming customers, leaving me to enjoy the buns.

Despite my last meal a couple of hours ago, I tore the steaming bun into half and meticulously checked the stuffing. It was a habit I grew into after my first meal at this eatery.

You see, the dim sum business is just a front for a drug trafficking business. The uncle is a famous drug trafficker who have been in business for more than fourty years. The amazing thing is his clean record since his one and only time in jail when he was twenty two years old. The police could not find anything on him since he started the eatery business, declaring to the world that he wanted to turn over a new leaf.