Chapter 55 - Unescapable fate

Bon Appétit! :D

Elizabeth's POV

Angelo and Rafael protested as the guards in the hallway stopped them from entering the governor's room. Once I had stepped in, the two bodyguards stationed at the door had shut it behind me. They were dressed in a black uniform, wearing their fox-head helmet. Members of the unit I had came across on the hill.

Loud yelling passed through the door as the two prince made it clear that they wanted to accompany me in. Yet, the shouts were quickly cut off. "Open the door," An amused voice sounded off from behind and one of the bodyguards obeyed the command. The two princes were surrounded by raised firearms. The governor was making it even clearer that he did not want to let the princes in.

"I'll come out." I assured, offering a small smile. It was the truth but the princes looked at me, pained. "Alive, Elizabeth." Rafael responded as both of them took a step back from the door. As the door slowly swung shut, the Mietitore prince's eyes never left me. His icy blue eyes were a reminder of my promise to him.

The governor resided in a presidential suite. It was highly different from the rooms I had been to for the past few days. Using a minimalist theme to decorate the room, it fitted his image. Simple but tasteful. Plain grey curtains were draped across the windows to lighten the harsh natural light shining through in the afternoon. A few chairs and two tables, white or grey colour, decorated the room. A wardrobe, a king-sized bed and a sofa were the only other furniture taking up soace, resulting in a very spacious room.

He sat down on the curved sofa facing the closed windows, showing a translucent view of the Spargimento Di Sangue and the hills, which were going to be empty for another year or so. The soft natural light that managed to shine through highlighted his salt-and-pepper hair. Under the light, the governor appeared to be older with deepened lines of age. He belonged to a group of old men one can easily find a handful on the streets.

Yet, on the king-sized bed laid a sleeping redhead with blankets pulled up to her chest. The wig was partially falling off her hairline, giving me a peek of her natural brunette hair. She shifted in her slumber and turned around, showing me a view that made me shudder. A wide patch of purple and blue covered either sides of her neck and her right cheek was slightly swollen. I do not know much about rough sex but surely, the participants do not suffer such severe injuries.

Staring at her red wig, the shade of red was scarily similar to mine. Not mine, Charlie's. The realisation was a hundred times worse than when I became aware of us sharing the same shade of hair. Knowing that the governor was trying to replicate my dead mother threatened my self-control to not throttle him.

This was an exact representation of the monster in the room. The governor gave off an impression of a clean, refined man on the outside. But on the inside, he was just a piece of scum rid of conscience. Noticing my disgust as I peered at the sleeping beauty on his bed, the governor only smiled widely at me. I hope that she's sleeping and not fainted into unconsciousness.

Picking up the wine glass, the governor sipped on the red liquid as he sneered at the two incompetent men who was knocked out by the two positioned at the door. "Dieci!" He called out and one of the bodyguards jogged to his side from the other parts of the room. They were all wearing the fox helmet, making it impossible for me to distinguish his men.

"Master." Dieci kneeled with his right knee, left hand fisted and placed on the floor. Head bent and looking down on the floor, Dieci awaited for further instructions. A sign of outmost obedience that I thought only appears in historical shows. Though I felt guilt for feeling relieved, I was glad that Angelo did not require this kind of respect from me.