Chapter 23 - Worse than a celebrity crush

Bon Appétit! :D

Elizabeth's POV

The glass door behind me automatically slides open as I wiped away the coffee marks on a plastic table at the Raindrop. Syncing with the rest of the staff, we greeted the incoming customers.

"Welcome to the Raindrop!" I muttered half-heartedly into the table, not having the energy to look up at the new patrons. My mood was at a new low since my visit to Rebirth. Two weeks have passed but Angelo's words still etched into my mind like it was only yesterday when he had said it.

Loved it when the boy you like couldn't care less about you getting raped or not. It's worse than having a celebrity crush, when the one you go crazy for doesn't know your existence.

A tug on my sleeves made me notice Carina standing beside me. Upon getting my attention, she pointed to the two boys sitting by the windows with a bunch of girls surrounding them.

"Do you need binoculars? You can see them better with it." I teased as we returned back to the counter. A blushing Carina slapped me on my shoulder before joining the group of girls, ultimately failing to resist the beauty and charm of Rafael Valentine and Julian Makatski.

"Hot green tea latte for mister Makatski, iced mocha for mister Valentine and some cold water to calm down all the ladies' tits." I interrupted the lively gathering, earning smiles from the two boys as I set their preferred choices on the table. The embarrassed girls left soon after, throwing glares at me, their potential love rival.

The two boys have been our regulars for the last two weeks. Julian was acting as the middleman and bringing me missions Angelo has assigned me and Rafael on the path of seeking forgiveness.

With my reassurance falling on deaf ears, the latter was spending more time with me with at the cafe where I had resumed working. There was no need to avoid the trio anymore, with me making up with two third of the group and the remaining one third doing his best to not see me.

"Sir Angelo needs you to find out who is behind the distribution of fake Mietitore weapons in the central black market. Call me if you need an extra hand." Julian grimly pulled out the black envelope from his bag.

I frowned at the new mission. The Mietitores has been the sole supplier in the weapon industry for years, but this was the first time someone dared to forge their weapons.

An act of mockery.

Recently, trouble came in wave after wave for the Mietitores. The entire Mafia community in the Hollow wants to partake in bullying the King family, as the Mietitores are no longer in favour with The Eyes.

There was only one true master everyone was loyal to - power. If you lost it, you lose the control you wielded over Mafia men.

On my first mission, matchstick has explained that black envelopes stands for Mafia business. Though the familial colours are blood-red and silver, using them for administrative documents was too eye-catching. No one needed the extra attention when they are planning for illegal crimes, or at least not the Mietitores.

"Code yellow?" I took a peek at the mission documents, my excitement rising, this being my first code yellow. The Mietitores have created a scale for the difficulty level of their missions. There were seven levels on the scale, with yellow as the third most difficult level.

The more difficult the missions, the better the pay. 

Rafael was weirded out by the grin on my face. He did not comprehend my joy of having a higher risk of dying,"Quit smiling Piccolo, you will die on a job someday."