Chapter 16 - The Dove's Rising

Author's note: I never ever thought that I will get 500+ reads! It is beyond my imagination at the support you guys have shown me. Thank you, thank you, thank you for your support!!! :))

Bon Appétit! :D

@ The White Coffin

Friday evening

Elizabeth's POV

The Dove's Rising is a symbolic event in the Mafia world. One of oldest ceremonies established by The Eyes when they first started building the Mafia world. This event is a grand feast, widely anticipated by everyone, invited or not. It is usually conducted after wars or fights, where the parties involved seek peace and trust. The host extends invitations to those they genuinely want to make peace with.

The main ritual of this feast is called The Devouring, the act of consuming all eight bottles of wine within an eight-meal course. In the eyes of the Mafia World, wine represents friendship. The Eyes reasons that the end goal of having peace and trust for each other is eventually to build up a long-lasting friendship. Hence, being the drama queens that The Eyes are, they created The Devouring.

Furthermore, The Eyes also taught the Mafia world that true friendships are not easy to come by. It is not easy, just like how it is a challenge to consume all eight bottles of wine without entering into a state of unconscious.

The ritual is considered a success so long the first person from each family remains awake at the end of the eight bottles. If the ritual fails, it shows the insincerity of the host. At best, those families steer clear of each other and at worse, their relationship deteriorates even further.

The eight bottles of wines symbolises the eight stages of friendship. The eight bottles consist of four red and four white wines, provided by the host. They are consumed alternatively, starting with a white wine. White wines are arranged by its decreasing acidity. On the other hand, the red wine are arranged in the order of decreasing tannin levels.

One can imagine the taste left by the wine as the feast proceeds on. The taste is a physical sensation of the different stages of friendship. True friendships are bitter and sour in the beginning but would experience sweetness towards the end when the deepest kind of friendships is formed.

It was Angelo's idea to conduct this ceremony, to start on a clean slate with the Castellos. Unluckily, the Tentacles incident has spread throughout the Hollow and the Mietitores and Morte Del Sole have became the talk of the town.

Morte Del Sole was accused of making unfounded, vile accusations harming the name of the Castello family. Most people looked down on disrespecting the royal families and I love me for becoming the role model for doing just that. Many have gossiped and now everyone thinks that the Mietitores are abusing their power as the King family, bullying the other families.

I swear that the Mafia world are worse than a bunch of high school girls. Our desire for gossips is as strong as our desire for trouble.

While the appearance of Morte Del Sole did not leak out, the rumour that MDS is a girl flew through the city faster than those concerning the King family.

And here I thought my outright apology to Cody Castello in front of his men was enough to appease his anger.

When a notification popped on my phone, telling me that four noisy Castello men wondered into the Cheese In The Trap, I knew that this was the golden opportunity I was waiting for.

A couple of fifty percent ABV gin and hard beating got the Castello men very honest and they admitted to spreading the incident to win supporters over for the Castello family.