Chapter 50 - One million, nine hundred and fifty thousand dollars

Bon Appétit! :D

Elizabeth's POV

The governor took another step towards us. "Ch-charlie?" He stuttered, pure shock scribbled all over his face. I held onto Angelo's wrist for support and regulated my breathing. My knees were shaking and I hoped, it was out of rage.

"Not Charlie. Diana Alexander Mente, her daughter with Sam." It was a daring answer, but there was no point in hiding from the governor who already knew who I am. I squared my shoulder and crossed my arms, peering down at him. At the mention of Sam, his smile died off. However his smile broadened into a grin again, overall satisfied with the way I said it. 

The most powerful man in the Hollow's Mafia did not look influential or dominant. He looked like an ordinary man reaching his fifties, with a beer belly and salt-and-pepper hair. Permanents wrinkles and lines etched onto his sagging face, hinting at the stress he deals with in his job.

Walking down the street, he would just be another passing face in the crowd. Easily mistaken as an hunching older man working a nine to five job, with his wife and children waiting for him at home. The governor had no resemblance to the majestic family heads.

A facade he keeps up to deceive everyone.

"You are a carbon copy of your mother, Diana." The governor commented as he stared at me. His brown eyes sparkled with adoration as he creeped forward, eager to see me up close. Goosebumps covered my arms as I shivered, my body rejecting the physical presence of the governor. Luckily, Angelo reacted faster than I did. The Mietitore prince stepped in front of me again, blocking the governor from coming any nearer. 

"I'm afraid Diana is not in the best form to serve you, my governor. She will be the first thing you see tomorrow morning." The governor smiled at Angelo's pacifying words but continued his path towards me. With my heart in the throat, I pressed myself into the prince's back. My head faced the direction opposite from the one the governor was coming from.

Nails dug themselves into my palms as I tried to get a grip on myself in front of the impending monster. Ashamed that I felt fear more than anger, I wanted to get out of the governor's sight. Angelo must had felt me squirming, because he said, "I give you my word, my governor. Diana Mente will be there in the morning with the rest of the Mietitores, offering you the official greetings."

A pair of polished brown oxfords halted two steps away from Angelo's black loafers. I kept my head down, focusing on the brown shoes instead of its owner's face. "Well then, have a good rest. I will look forward to tomorrow." The oxfords lingered for a second before turning around. At a leisure pace, it retreated into the distance.

"He's gone, Elizabeth." I really wish he was, for good. Angelo turned around and unlocked the hotel door. Silently, he had one hand on my lower back and guided me in. Lights flooded the room upon sensing movements and the prince set me down on the soft bed. I did not accept the cup of water he was offering, still stuck in the past. Kneeling in front of me, Angelo closed both my hands around the warm cup of water and instructed gently, "Drink. I'll draw a bath for you."

I was dazed. Why the fuck was I scared of the man who took away my everything? When the governor approached me, all thoughts flew out of the window. Fear overtook me and pushed out the hatred brewing in my chest for so long. This was the same as the aftermath of an interview. Though I did not go through much interviews at the Academy, I remembered the one that got me into the school.