Chapter 48 - Finding strength

Bon Appétit! :D

Elizabeth's POV

Angelo burst through the backdoor and startled all the staff who were resting. His infamous emotionless expression and blood-thirsty aura scared the wits out of the staff who scrambled to get out of his sight. "Where is Vermilion?" I pushed Angelo behind me and yelled at the nearest staff.

The message from the governor distracted me from properly inspecting Vermilion's one. When I rechecked her message, it was sent fifteen minutes ago. Upon learning about the news, Angelo ran through red lights and honked at everyone on the roads. Her message pushed the both of us to the edge of the world.

His index finger shot upwards and the frightened staff moved out of my way as I took the lead and headed for the tattoo parlour on the second storey. Angelo muted his footsteps but I could feel him growing more anxious with the way he was popping his knuckles and restraining himself from overtaking me.

The second storey was well-lighted and showed off the graffiti art that customers and tattoo artists left behind. There was not a single speck of space left behind on the cream-coloured wall, which was only a quarter filled when Vermilion just started working here. New art constantly pops up over the old ones as inspired people create new works from the old ones on the wall.

Walking through the corridor, there are three rooms on either sides. All the lights were turned off except for one on the right side, furthest from us. I ran for towards the light and slammed open the door, to Vermilion cutting off Julian's shirt. "Ver-vermilion." I called, my tongue stumbling to remember how to pronounce her name. Seeing past her, my jaws dropped to the ground. Bluntly saying, Julian Makatski looks like shit, like he got ran down by a car repeatedly.

"Anything that we can do to help?" Angelo sounded dead. His eyes were fixed on the nineteen year old assistant he has for three years and counting. I know that for Angelo, Julian meant a lot more than just an assistant. The latter is a little brother that Luciana has given to Angelo to take good care of and a friend, who has his back.

Vermilion did not look up from Julian and only said, "Get me a doctor fast." Angelo punched a series of numbers on his mobile, decreeing commands to the speaker on the other side of the line. We remained in the same spot and watched Vermilion worked on Julian. Her slim fingers worked fast around Julian's body, washing his wounds with saline water and applying bandages. In no time, Julian resembled a mummy.

I padded towards Julian, pulling his cold hands into mine. "Fucking shit...who did this to you?" My own voice as brittle as thin glass. How did this even happen? Julian has never exposed his face in the Mafia world and he could have easily pulled off as an innocent teenage boy hanging around Angelo and Rafael in school.

Angelo turned on Vermilion, his eyes sharp. "Speak. You have one chance." The weapon designer cum tattoo artist smirked, "I just saved your men. What a poor attitude you have, Angelo Mietitore." Sighing, I pulled myself away from the unconscious boy laying on the adjustable tattoo bed.

From Angelo's death glare to Vermilion's unfriendly tilt of half her lips, a fight is about to take place. "Calm down, you two." I squeezed myself in between them, placating both sides. Placing one hand on Angelo's chest, I pushed him back slightly. "Behave, Angelo!" In response, the prince only slide one arm around mine and tugged me back from getting too close to Vermilion.

Doing my best to shake off his arm, I turned to Julian's life saviour. "Vermilion, you don't know how grateful I am for your help. Julian would have died if not for you." Vermilion offered me a genuine smile, despite Angelo's attitude. Her eyes slide to said bad tempered boy and as if she has seen something displeasing, she rolled her eyes at him.