Chapter 54 - Entering room three, three, three

Bon Appétit! :D

Elizabeth's POV

Holding my soaked socks and sneakers in my hand, I approached the hotel receptionist. The staff greeted me with an worried frown, "Miss! Do you need towels?" I looked down at myself and noticed that I had left a trail of water droplets behind me. My midnight blue dress was damp and heavy, weighing me down.

"Hi, is there a room available on any of the floors except for the third one?" I asked monotonously, too tired to have intonation in my voice. Rain pattered on the windows like soft bullets striking against the glass. Glass cracks and shatters upon impact but the human heart does not. It gets bruised and weakened, but it still remains whole. Unsure if it is a good or bad thing but glass can be changed while the human heart can only be repaired.

When I left the Spargimento Di Sangue, the dark sky was flashing streaks of lightning. Thunder roared at the injustice the Castellos had received as a downpour rained down on us. I had ignored Angelo when he demanded me to get in the car with him and began trudging through the thick screen of heavy rain and mud. He had no right to order me about.

Dreading to see him for even one second, I decided to avoid him for the rest of the Crossing. Right now, I needed space to think through the things that I have to do and the Mietitore prince would only become a fatal distraction. Not because Angelo is sinfully dashing or that I am in love with him but because I may end up committing violence. The inferno of anger in my heart grows every time I saw him.

"Yes, we do. There is one room available on the second floor. Would you like to check in now?" The friendly staff offered a warm smile, scanning me up and down with concern. Delighted that she did not mind the mess I was making, I nodded my head appreciatively. She handled the administrative process quickly as my tired eyes drooped and my head pounded insistently.

"Payment by-" The startled staff got cut off by someone behind me. Heeding a silent command, the staff scrambled off into the far corner of the reception counter. I sighed and made my way to the couches placed in the lobby. They look comfortable enough for a makeshift bed.

Laying down fully on the largest couch, I used my arm as a shield to hide my eyes from a fuming Angelo. "What the hell is your problem?" The Mietitore prince argued, casting a shadow over my face. Annoyed by his tone, I sat up and faced him, knowing that the concern in his eyes was an act. It was the same vicious cycle he trapped me in.

Angelo uses me, pacifies me and then it repeats. What is the worst thing? I continue to yearn for his concerned words and expressions. I am the dumb moth drawn to the flame that will eventually burn me into crisps. Already, I was barely recovering from all the times I got scalded.

"Leave me alone," I mumbled and turned away from him. This time, I was going to ignore him for my own sake. With the air conditioner blasting down on me, my body resisted control and shuddered. "Quit being stubborn, Elizabeth. Come back to the room with me." Angelo's voice was a lot nearer as the prince squatted down next to my ear. It was low and rough, the prince spoke like he was luring his lover back to bed.

How could Angelo act like that, like he did not betray my trust? Maybe he was used to doing this. But I wasn't. I can't even bring myself to hold a simple conversation with people I disliked without wanting to spit at their faces. If Angelo was expecting me to be okay with what he did, he sure as hell can go fuck himself.

The tip of the short dagger brushed his eyelashes as Angelo closed his icy blue eyes. He made no attempts to grip my wrists or to dodge away from the attack he had seen coming. It did not match his usual standard of operation because he should have run from this tsunami of emotions. "Why?" I mumbled, shifting my weight onto the arm supporting me up.