Chapter 48 - Sunrise

Jim's POV :

I wonder where's Eila. She's not in her room. I bring out my phone to call her just when I see Winnie coming this way. I should apologise to her for my behaviour.

"Winnie", I call her name as she steps forward without saying anything. "I wanted to say sorry for how I behaved. I'm really sorry", she's just staring at me without giving any expression. That's not her, generally.

"It's okay. You don't have to be sorry", her voice is not convincing enough. As she walks past me without saying anything further, I remember to ask her if she saw Eila or not.

"Winnie", I stop her and she turns back to face me, "Have you seen Eila?"

There's a smirk on her face, "You only care for Eila!" Huh? What happened to her all on a sudden?

"What do you mean?"

She steps forward, "All you care is for Eila. What about me huh?" Has she gone mad! "Can't you see how much I love you? What's so special in Eila, which is not in me?" She tries to refute. I can notice the tears jamming at a corner of her eyes.

"What happened to you? Have you gone mad?"

"Yes. I have gone mad. Jim", this time he holds my arm coming near, "I love you", her hands move to my face and I step back followed by her, "I love you so much. Please be mine", her palm again reach for my face which I shove off with my hands.

"What are you doing? Are you out of your mind?"

"I am. I am out of my mind", she throws her hand in the air as she shouts at me. "I want you to be with me. I can't see you with someone else", there is clamour in her voice.

"Look Winnie, I think you need rest. And get one thing straight, I love Eila and I'll keep loving her till the end of my breathe", there is credence in my tone and I'm sure about this.

"You won't. You'll leave her once you get to know the truth", what is she talking about?

"What do you mean?" Eila's father said me the same thing the day I met him. What does this mean? Which truth should I know!

"Nothing. You'll know when time will come", there's an evil smirk on her face as her lips curve. I don't bother what she says. She has just gone mad. I think she still needs time. I avoid her as I turn around to go and so does she. After I call Eila, she informs that she's in the front yard and I go downstairs only to find her sitting alone in the chair. Her eyes fixed on the table in front of her though she seems lost. After I reach near she gets up and immediately wraps her arms around my back after which embrace her more tight. "What happened?"

"Winnie's really hurt this time", her voice is filled with pain. So she already talked to her.

"I said her sorry", as soon as the words are out of my mouth she lifts her face to look at me, "What did she say?"

"Nothing much. Sooner or later she'll get over it", I don't drag it any further saying what she did or said since this will only stress her more and I don't want that. She again buries her face into my chest as I rub the back of her head. "It's the night of new year tomorrow", I remind to lighten up her mood.

"Oh yeah", she releases as smile takes over her face, "What'll we do tomorrow?"

"Let's see, I heard the authorities here, are throwing a New Year party tomorrow night", Sam informed me.

"That'll be great."

"Hmm".

.  .  .

 Eila's POV :

It's nearly 4 in the morning. We are supposed to visit Mount Desert Island and maybe the Acadia National Park. It actually depends on the time since we'll be here till tomorrow as we are leaving the day after tomorrow. We start right now since we are expecting to see the breath taking sunrise in Acadia. It didn't take us much time to reach there from out inn. We are already wearing much warm clothes supported by thick hand gloves and warm hat. It's 4:55 and we arrive in just time after driving till the summit and then the cold hike to reach this viewing spot. We are at the summit of Cadillac Mountain and we're not the only one since there are many other visitors too, waiting to see the sunrise, to be particular, the best sun rise. As far as I know, the summit of Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park boasts the honor of being the first place in the USA to see sunlight during the winter season, and no winter trip to Acadia would be complete without watching this very special sunrise. "We're not late I guess", Jim chuckles standing beside me.