Chapter 4 - The First Kiss

"Eila wake up. It's almost eight in the morning, wake up", Emi shakes me by my arm.

Hearing so I jump off from the bed, "Emi, why didn't you wake me up early?"

"I have been trying for so long but you were still sleeping.Now, go and get ready. We're getting late for college", I realize that we are actually getting late today. So I quickly freshen up and was trying to figure out which hairstyle should I follow today. Should I make a pony tail or two.. no.. a simple bun will suit me. Mmm.. no , it would seem so boring. God please help me. Right then I hear a knock on the door and turn to see Katherine auntie coming,"Eila , why aren't you ready yet?"

"I can't understand which hairstyle should I adopt", I express my dilemma and I hope she helps me out with this.

"Make the pony tails which you always do", auntie suggests but I wanna try something different today. 

"No auntie, that's a regular style. I want something else", I say.

"Okay, come here. Let me make your hair today.I'll make heart pigtails", she suggests and I guess that'll be a good idea. Though I have no idea regarding this new hairstyle but I'm sure it'll be good. So I let her do so having a sigh of relief. After she's done I go in front of the mirror to have a look. Indeed heart pigtails is really cool and it's become my favorite one now. It also goes with my pink knee length frock on top of which I wear a black short leather jacket and gabardine pants of the same color along with my black boots. Actually I want to look different. But the reason is unknown to me. Maybe it's because...."Shut up you idiot. What's wrong with you. You just need to fulfill the challenge", I say to myself slowly slapping my head.

In college me and Emi are late today. We don't stay in the dorm since college is near our home. And that's the reason most often we are late due to our laziness. There's only two seats vacant. One is beside Tacker where Emi sat and another is beside Jim where unwillingly I have to sit and it was the last bench. Weird! Jim didn't sit with Sam today. As I approach near my seat I see his dressed in a plain black cowl neck sweatshirt which had attached hoodie with strings along with a faded jeans. God knows why my heart's beating so fast. Though we are sitting side by side we didn't look at each other even for once or said something. I am thinking that I should directly say him about the challenge and all but then I'm confused how to say it out. But he's also way too robotic, he's also not even saying a word. As I'm thinking so, Emi passes a chit to me where it was written that "It's the time and also the chance , so just fulfill the challenge." Right then I see Keith passing a chit to Jim.Though I have no idea what's this. After the class is over, all goes out of the class except Sam , Keith, Emi, Rochelle, Tacker and Sarah. I am about to get up from my seat when suddenly Sam purposely pushes me over Jim.

We both get freezed with our eyes locked over each others'. My hands resting on his chest and I could feel the fast beating of his heart as same as mine. Suddenly Jim caressingly removes the loose strand of hair off my face and I slowly began to say, " I'm sorry for yesterday's behaviour.." and before I could say further, he puts his index finger over my lips to stop me from saying anything. What is he trying to so? Removing his hand, he slowly closeness the gap between us and I slowly close my eyes not knowing what'll happen next...And the next moment his lips are on mine and he....he kisses me. Willingly or unwillingly I didn't know but I responded to his kiss. This's the first time I kissed a boy, that too someone whom I have known just for a day. It was not something deep or intense. A simple sweet kiss as his velvety lips hovers over mine. I can feel the rising goosebumps of both of us. I don't know what's happening. I was supposed to kiss him but instead he kissed me. But why? After a moment we release still staring at each other with mixed emotions in our eyes when we finally realize that we are still in the same awkward position though under the bench.So, I guess the people standing out there didn't see us fully. We stand up and right then Keith , Sam , Tacker, Sarah, Emi and Rochelle clapped looking at us with excitement. "Finally you guys did it" ,Tacker grins, "Guys let us go out and give them some time". Saying so they all goes out leaving us in the room alone and we both are just blushing in this awkward silence. No no. I'm really blushing and so is he!

I turn at Jim and before I could say anything he starts" Sorry. Actually I had a bet with my friends regarding the match between Barcelona and Real Madrid yesterday. And the thing was if I lose than I'll do as they say. Since Real lost the match, they challenged me that today I have to... kiss you. Though I refused to do so but... there's something I can't tell you but I had to kiss you. Then in between the class Keith passed a chit to me where it was written that Sam will be pushing you over me and right then I have to kiss you. I'm sorry". As he finishes, I stand clueless for a moment but then I realize it's all their plan. Sam, Emi, Keith and all, they deliberately planned all this. But what's the reason for which Jim was forced to kiss me? Anyway, I think that's kind of his personal matter. Yet, I have the right to know since now I am involved in this too. Leave it Eila, let's not drag the matter, I explain to myself.

"N..no no, it's okay. Actually Emi, my cousin ,she also challenged me that today I have to kiss you", I explained him my point of view. 

"Fish!" he exclaims.

"Also I wanted to say sorry for yesterday's behavior . That was my fault I guess", finally I say sorry to him.

"It's okay. You don't have to", as he says so, I have a sigh of relief. After our awkward conversation as he turns to go I stop him, "Jim wait."

"What?" He asks turning back to me.

"Actually you are not that bad. I mean, I thought you are someone full of attitude. But you are kind of good". I say giggling.

"Really! You think so?" He chuckles, "I also want to give you a compliment", as he says , I begin wondering what's he gonna say.

"Yeah sure."

"Your hairstyle is too funny" , he gushes. In spite of getting ashamed, I also burst into laughter with him. Don't know why I am liking this conversation with him. 

Then he turns and goes out of the classroom taking his bag while I am standing alone in the class among the ever speaking silence with my sinking heart which is too mellow to drown in words now. I can feel something different happening within me which for the first time I don't know what is it. Though it is silent all over. But today for the first time I realize that, Silence isn't lonely because today the silence is saying something to me but I guess my heart is not ready to accept it. Or I am not allowing myself to tackle it.